Nominal Rolls

Roy Evans

I've just obtained the Nominal Rolls for the following;

1/5th South Staffords

2/6th South Staffords (part)

9th South Staffords (part)

Look ups with pleasure.

Roy

Hello, Roy - I didn't know there was one for the 2/6th. Would you have a look for any mention of 1103 (201486 after re-numbering) Pte. R. Morgan for me? He won't appear until some time after April, 1917, if that's any help.

Tom

Hello, Roy - I didn't know there was one for the 2/6th.  Would you have a look for any mention of 1103 (201486 after re-numbering) Pte. R. Morgan for me?  He won't appear until some time after April, 1917, if that's any help.

Tom

Tom,

Sorry for the delay. I can't see him but that doesn't mean that he's not there, unlike the 1/5th rolls of which I think you have a copy, the 2/6th are hand written and quite faint. I will bring them along on 1st November to see if your eyes are any better than mine.

Roy

Enoch,

Here is the first of your three men.

post-336-1130087986.jpg

Enoch,

The second man, oops I seem to have put my hole-punch through his number!

post-336-1130088114.jpg

Enoch,

Number three.

post-336-1130088205.jpg

Doug,

I'm afraid that my reply to Tom also applies to your GGF, have a look when I bring the rolls on Nov. 1st

Roy

thankyou roy, you're a star

enoch

So I'm often told! :P

Roy

Roy

Thanks for looking. I'll have a look as you say when we meet up.

Regards Doug.

Tom,

Here is the entry for Pte. M. Tonks 1/5th S. Staffords, no idea what is means though, presumably you do?

Roy

post-336-1130267822.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Roy

Could you look for a james william flavell 10020, for me? he was originally with the 2/5th, but was killed while with the 1/5th on 12/10/1918.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Roy

Could you look for a james william flavell 10020, for me? he was originally with the 2/5th, but was killed while with the  1/5th on 12/10/1918.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sorry Dave no sign of him in the 1/5th roll, I don't have the 2/5th (I'm told that there isn't one.) I can do you the war diary though.

Roy

Hi Roy

Thanks for looking. Jame won the M.M. while with the 2/5th. This was gazetted on 4/2/1918, so he may have won it 3/4 months before? if you could have a look in the diary for the 2/5th Bn to see if there's any mention?

Dave

Hi Roy

Thanks for looking. Jame won the M.M. while with the 2/5th. This was gazetted on 4/2/1918, so he may have won it 3/4 months before? if you could have a look in the diary for the 2/5th Bn to see if there's any mention?

Dave

Dave,

I'll check when I get home this evening.

Roy

• 1 month later...
I've just obtained the Nominal Rolls for the following;

1/5th South Staffords

2/6th South Staffords (part)

9th South Staffords (part)

Look ups with pleasure.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Wondering if you could do a look up for me , my greatgrandfather was sargeant John Sanders 1/5th Sth.Staffords. Killed on the 27th April 1915, he was attached to the Royal Engineers when killed .

Cheers Iain Sanders

Hi Roy,

Wondering if you could do a look up for me , my greatgrandfather was sargeant John Sanders 1/5th Sth.Staffords. Killed on the 27th April 1915, he was attached to the Royal Engineers when killed .

Cheers Iain Sanders

Iain,

Your GGF is shown in the Nominal Roll as being in 'D' Company, and his death is recorded in the 1/5th War Diary.

Here is the entry in the Nominal Roll;

Here is the diary entry;

Iain,

Your GGF is shown in the Nominal Roll as being in 'D' Company, and his death is recorded in the 1/5th War Diary.

Here is the entry in the Nominal Roll;

Thanks Roy. Iain

Hi Roy

Dave

Dave,

This one seems to have slipped through my net. I've just picked it up again but there is no mention of him in the 2/5th diary either.

Roy