Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quick visit

kingo

I will be paying a quick visit to Ypres with my TA unit in March of next year and have been "tasked" with picking a couple of places to visit that have a relevance to our regiment.Our antecedent regiments are The Kings (Liverpool) Regiment,The Manchester Regiment and the Cheshire Regiment.I know its a tall order with so much to see but anyone got any ideas ?.I am probably looking at 2-3 hours before we would need to be back in Ypres for the Last Post and maybe an hour or so the next morning.All suggestions gratefully received !

Tyne cot definitely, about a 10 minute drive from Ypres!

Without doubt.I could,and have,spent hours wandering around Tyne Cot,an hour or so wouldnt do it justice.A lot of the lads have little or no knowledge of the regimental history so that is probably a good place to start.Via Messines maybe ?.Cheers Anthony-off to a good start !

Also,

Ramparts Cemetery is very beautiful looking acroos the lake, well worth the 15minute walk from the Menin Gate. It is sign posted from the gate.

Also,

Ramparts Cemetery is very beautiful looking acroos the lake, well worth the 15minute walk from the Menin Gate. It is sign posted from the gate.

I remember it well,very peaceful.

Just reading the 18th Manchesters history and it says that they releived the 19th Kings Liverpools in the line on 28/07/17 and on the 30th advanced across Sanctuary wood capturing its objective,the blue line east of stirling castle.Anyone know if any of this battlefield is accessible ?A visit to Sanctuary wood would be a good starting point and almost fits my brief.Just need to work the Cheshires in to it now !.

What about Chester Farm? It was named after the nearby farm, which took it's name from the 1st Cheshires, and it contains many graves of Manchester Regiment men who died in 1915.

See:

http://www.silentcities.co.uk/cemeteryc/Ch...%20Cemetery.htm

Definetely worth a visit, so much to see,so little time,frustrating isn't it ?.Now i know why i was "tasked" with organising it.Cheers Paul.