Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carency, 9 May 1915 - Attack by XXXIII Corps

JustinL

Would anyone perhaps have any maps showing the position of the German units around Carency as Petain's XXXIII Corps (70th Div.) attacked on the morning of 9 May 1915?

I am trying to establish the location of the Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 7 (Bayerische Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 7 - bRIR 7), part of the 5th Bavarian Reserve Division (5. bayerische Reserve-Division - 5. bRD).

Thank you in advance.

Justin

post-6447-1129983030.jpg

Justin

Please find one attached. Unfortunately I do not have the history of bRIR 7, though one does exist. I have a five page description of the day by Leutnant Georg Will, 3rd Coy bRIR 7, who was a member of one of the counter-attack companies that day. I also have a much longer (unpublished) account of the activities of b Res Div 5, but it does not have any maps, I am afraid. I hope that this helps a bit. If you want any more let me know.

Jack

Jack,

That's perfect - absolutely superb.

I would be very grateful indeed to read Lt. Will's account of that day. Gustav Neustaedter, who later served with IR 28, was wounded on that first day of the Schlacht bei La Bassee und Arras.

Does your book on the 5. bRD describe the actions on the Lorettohoehe and near Ablain in March 1915?

Gustav joined the IR 28 in Upper Alsace in July 1916, remaining there until he was wounded again in October. Do you by any chance have any information on that regiment or the 12. bID for that period?

Thanks again, Jack.

Rgds,

Justin

Justin

I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment, trying to get two Battleground guides finished, but I shall try to find out the items you want and get them to you.

Jack