Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Darfur, Sudan May 1916

Simon_Fielding

Just an ongoing general plea for material on the campaign fought in the Sudan by an Anglo-Egyptian army supported by a flight of RFC aircraft in the summer of 1916.

My interest are the air operations especially, but I'd be grateful for any material or sources that anyone comes across in their research.

I've covered most of the obvious sources: Official Histories, London Gazette, PRO AIR documents, but other suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

Simon Fielding

• 4 weeks later...

The R.F.C. unit involved at Darfur was "C" Flight No. 17 Sqn.

There is a small section regarding this incident in Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield" published by Grub Street. London. The book costs £45:00. ISBN 0-898697-30-2.

Regards.

Arthur

• 1 year later...

I never knew there was any WWI action in Dafur. Of course since the war was global I shouldn't be surprised.

Can anyone offer more information about what happened? Andy

John Slessor is the way to go for info on air operations - his autobiographies have pretty good info in them.

Darfur in a nutshell- essentially the last part of the reconquest of the Sudan. An independent Sultan took charge of the area in 1898 and enjoyed sort of cordial relations with the British until various minor arguments and encouragement by the Turks caused him to threaten to invade Britsh held Sudan. A force goes out to depose him and take Darfur into Sudan; they do this without too much trouble...

The ASC had a small force of Drivers/Mechanics out there I have a 1910 Khedive's Medal with this Clasp to a Pte,Charles Thane,ASC{Also held BWM,AVM & {Strangely}Mercantile Marine War Medal}

Hello Kat -

I'd be very interested in any further material on Darfur you could recommend - I have the C Flight War Diary (a masterpiece!) Slessor, Wingate's London Gazzette dispatch, Potts' 'People of the Book' (which is fascinating.)

My draft on the officer concerned is still very rough, but if you'd like to see I, I could let you have a copy.

It is bizarre to see the placenames recurring in the news again after so many years. What a tragic situation.

Steve - I'd be interested to read of the Aust Camel Corps involvement!

Regards

Simon

Further sources - have you read the book called 'Ali Dinar: the last Sultan of Darfur' which is the best book on the whole campaign, can't remember the author, but is easily findable on the BL catalogue.

Slessor's diary at Hendon is wonderful if you haven't seen it!!

I would love to see your draft, and will let you have a look at my notes in return. Hopefully doing at article for Cross and Cockade on the subject sometime soon.

I've emailed you off forum Kath.

Regards

Simon