Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any advice on Trip to Pozieres

LindaSeaton

Wondering if anyone can help. I want to take my Father (who is 81, very able to walk but not fast!) on our first trip to the memorial at Pozieres - his Uncle died on 1/4/1918 - I have the grave reference from the CWGC. Am thinking we would like to 'go it alone' rather than go on a tour (although if anyone has any suggestions for a good one?) - would prefer not to drive but take trains etc.

If anyone has any suggestions of how we can get there/where we can stay it would be most appreciated!

Thanks

The Somme area is not the easiest place to get around by public transport - a car is really the ideal means of transport. However, I seem to remember trains run into Albert station from Lille and Arras main stations. I cannot be sure but buses must run from Albert to Bapaume right past Pozieres memorial - Paul Reed will know more I am sure.

You can indeed get a train to Albert, the nearest town, but there haven't been buses on the Somme since the 50s and 60s; there is no public transport at all. It means taking a taxi, I am afraid. One way from Albert to Pozieres will probably be in the region of 15 Euros. To hire a taxi for the day will be a lot more, of course.

Thanks Paul. I must admit I have never seen any buses on that road but it does seem extraordinary. When you consider the superb French school bus system you would think there would at least be a bus between Bapaume/Albert/Peronne etc.

The French all have cars - and have lost the 'bus culture' it seems. Except in some cities such as Amiens and Arras. The school bus system isn't that great either; my lad used to have to leave home at 7.00am every morning and get home around 5.30pm - and that was from the age of five! It was also prone to strikes, as indeed is much of the rest of France these days. <_<

Many thanks for the replies people!! The best thing to do then would be to go on a 'tour' of some sort? Have 'googled' tours for WW1 and there seem to be quite a few about!!! I think a short tour would be more than manageable for my Dad!

Willy

Would have to be next year sometimes when the weather warms up a bit for my Dad! Was thinking maybe March/April sometime!

Willy

Would have to be next year sometimes when the weather warms up a bit for my Dad!  Was thinking maybe March/April sometime!

Linda

It can still be pretty chilly on the Somme even at the end of April/beginning of May.

Last year I was really very cold at the beginning of May as I had not brought enough cold weather gear.

Martin

• 1 month later...
Many thanks for the replies people!! The best thing to do then would be to go on a 'tour' of some sort? Have 'googled' tours for WW1 and there seem to be quite a few about!!! I think a short tour would be more than manageable for my Dad!

Linda

I have taken my mum (78) to the Western Front for a number of years ( last year it was the Somme) we go on an organised tour, which alieviates some of the difficulties with getting to places we want to see and walking problems. Many of them will take you to your specific destination or personal visit. It might be worth contacting your nearest Western Front Association Branch to find out if they organise trips. Ours does here in North Lancashire and thats who i go with now. its good as they cater for all abilities and its a little more tailored to your needs. I dont know where you are location wise but just type in Western Front Assc and you can search the site for your nearest branch.The link westernfrontassc

Edited by Lindsey

Linda,

I note that the CWGC make a special point of saying that wheelchair access is impossible to the Pozieres Memorial but that probably just means steps and no ramps.

I think a Somme tour would be best for you. Of course, most tours are delighted to accomodate a personal visit - indeed they welcome them and Pozieres being on the main axis road of the Somme attack is very easy to visit with no detour needed.

Of course, your relative will have been fighting a fair way further east of Pozieres. Perhaps your research will tell you where. It might be nice to visit a grave of a member of the battalion killed on the same date and buried near the fighting.

Good Luck. I am sure you will both enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Linda, if you are still planning to go to the Somme March/April, send me a pm, i may be able to help.

Willy

Wondering if anyone can help. I want to take my Father (who is 81, very able to walk but not fast!) on our first trip to the memorial at Pozieres - his Uncle died on 1/4/1918 - I have the grave reference from the CWGC. Am thinking we would like to 'go it alone' rather than go on a tour (although if anyone has any suggestions for a good one?) - would prefer not to drive but take trains etc.

If anyone has any suggestions of how we can get there/where we can stay it would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Willy, just picked up your message, sorry for delay, been busy. Am still hoping to go maybe in April or maybe May, funnily enough I was just looking at Eurostar! Was thinking maybe either to Lille or Paris, must get myself a map of France!!!!!

Linda

Get in touch with Avril at Ocean Villas guest house (in Auchonvilliers) too - she may be able to help & its not far from pozieres at all.

If Id have seen this, I was there this week - could have taken a piccie for you :rolleyes: