Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oliver Brooks VC 3rd Coldstream Guards

Medic7922

Has anyone any information on the deeds of L/Sgt Oliver Brooks VC 3rd Coldstream Guards

I understand he was recalled to the colours in August 1914 and won hes VC in 1915 at the Battle of Loos, but I would like to find out somemore of hes exploits prior to hes award.

I have some information on him after his award but only the following before it.

He joined the Guards in April 1906 having been a coal miner. He was released to the reserve in April 1913 being recalled at the outbreak of war, going to France with the 3rd Battalion.He was promoted to Lance Sergeant in July 1915 and full Sergeant the day after the action in which he won the V.C.

That's it I'm afraid, hope someone can add to that. If you want his post V.C. story let me know

Hambo

hello

do you want me to try and find a picture ?

and he joined in the latter half of the month for waht its worth

ian

For starters, there is a three page write up on his life and times in "VCs of the First World War - Western Front 1915" by P. Batchelor and C. Matson (Sutton Publishing, Gloucs., 1997).

No doubt there is also plenty of information available elsewhere on the 'net......

Oliver Brooks VC incl. photograph

Ed

Guest wrinklyone

If I remember correctly he was born in Somerset, and had previous service as a regular soldier before WW1.

Of course the main point which distinguished him from the other very gallant men awarded VC, was that his gong was pinned on by the King whilst he (HM) was in bed recovering from a fall from a horse.

After WW1 Oliver Brooks was for many years an imposing commissionaire on the door of the Harte and Garter Hotel in Windsor (which is where he died). From the photographs I have seen of him in that role, you wouldn't mess about with him!

Hi

Oliver Brooks was born 31/05/1889 in Paulton, Somerset & Died 25/10/1940 in Windsor Berkshire & is buried in Windsor Borough Cemetry with the rank of Sergent

He won his V.C. on the 8th October 1915 Near Loos

He gathered together a party of bombers and led them forward in an attempt to recapture 200 yards of trenches that had been lost to the enemy. His bravery in the midst of a hail of bullets ensured the complete success of the operation

This info came from the book called Symbol of Courage by Max Arthur

Hope this is of help

Cheers

Brian

• 1 month later...
Guest wrinklyone

Medic - I have found a four page write-up on the man ( with a later photo) in a local history mag. If you are still pursuing this, and you send me a pm with your snailmail, I would be happy to send a copy to you (with acknowledgements to Derek Hunt).

• 3 years later...
Has anyone any information on the deeds of L/Sgt Oliver Brooks VC 3rd Coldstream Guards

I understand he was recalled to the colours in August 1914 and won hes VC in 1915 at the Battle of Loos, but I would like to find out somemore of hes exploits prior to hes award.

Does anyone know why he died?

He was only 51 when he passed away in 1940 and he's not listed on CWGC so it wasn't due to bombing and the like.

Cheers

Andy