Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Redan Ridge

towisuk

A photo taken on October 8th of Sunken lane from Hawthorne Crater with Beaumont Hamel, Redan Ridge1,2&3 cemeteries visible to the top and right of the picture.

A free download From Picasa is ideal for storing these photo's and pictures as it allows you to zoom in and out with ease to spot various highlighted subjects

post-5284-1129809073.jpg

Sorry, sorry , still unable to attache images from my photo folder.

I'll work on it see if I can find out where I'm going wrong

Tom

Sorry, sorry , still unable to attache images from my photo folder.

I'll work on it see if I can find out where I'm going wrong

Tom

post-5284-1129819786.jpg

:) That's better! I'm learning, I'm learning.

Interesting thing, at 12.00 o'clock three farmers and their dogs out hunting set up home next to the monument at Sunken lane ( you can see them in the photo )

out came the wine and food, after a leisurley lunch of 2 hours exactly they packed up and set off to make life difficult again for the feathered inhabitants of the area.

Seems that even when it's their day out they still insist on a 2 hour food feast!!!

Tom

Tom,

Glad to see you got the pic posted. That's a nice shot.

During many if visits to the Somme during the fall I've often seen hunters. As a matter of fact I once saw a small group taking their lunch in the sunken lane. A very nice spread complete with wine, cheese, bread, meats etc. Made my Coke Cola and PB & J sandwich seem so inadiquate. :D

Jon

I think it's important to respect the local customs when visiting the Battlefields, as a"Chasseur" myself I can well understand the frustration of seeing your quarry disturbed and vanish out of range by well intentioned but ignorant battlefield walkers.

The French work very hard to retain and feed the Partridges on their land during the run up to the shooting season.

My advice is to avoid field walking on Sundays during the Autumn / early Winter months, as rest assured that virtually every field in the somme area will be populated by locals, who are very intent on enjoying their sport..!!

If possible, plan your trip to visit museums and other attractions on a Sunday, so hopefully, we can preserve the "Entente Cordiale"..??

Rob.

Once shared a bottle of the finest claret and a cloth of pate, with a couple of chasseur's in plugstreet wood! It was delicious and my sloe gin, pork scratchings and walnuts, went down well with them also! :P

Hi Tom,

This really is a lovely photo, but if you can see Redan Ridge 1,2, and 3 on this photo, I really am ready to go to get glasses !!!!!!! :D

Cheers

Tim.

Yes Tim, now that I see how it looks posted on the forum much of the detail is not visible to the naked eye. In my original the Redan ridge cemetery's are clearly visible. Having to reduce the size of the phot has clearly had it's affect on the clarity.

I will download it back of the forum and see if I can spot the relevant areas of interest using Picasa

My friends and myself took over 400 photos while we were over wandering the Somme battlefields. We were staying at the Formule1 Hotel in Arras which bestrides the German front line in the battle of Arras, in fact I make it out to be built over Hornsea trench. The trench map is in POG under Tilloy Les Mofflaines kindly supplied by Dave

Tom