Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemetery identification needed

Sue Light

Among a few hundred photos taken last week is this one. I normally log my whereabouts fairly carefully, but have messed up here. I don't even remember taking this early morning snap :blink: - fifteen minutes later I was happily snapping at Dochy Farm. Could someone put me out of my misery please!

Thanks

Sue

Sue,

It looks like RE grave, on the Bellewaerde ridge, near Railway wood. To jog your memory further, the grave has no headstones in it as the men commemorated, on the cross of sacrifice, are still buried underground in tunnels. Mainly men of, or attached to 177 Tun Coy RE. Hope this helps.

Best regards

Iain

Thanks to Tom, Iain and Paul - yes, I do remember being there now! It just shows that if I don't write it all down in my little black book I'm lost!

Many thanks - and now back to the rest of the photo editing!

Thanks again

Sue

Just wondering how long ago the wire fence was constructed ? I'm trying to work when was the last time I visited this memorial. At that time the wire fence wasn't there.

Myrtle

Ditto to Myrtle,

How long has the fence been around it, judging on the picture alone it seems to have spoilt the site?

(or am I over reacting)

Scottie.

Sorry, I can't answer the question. There was a time that there was no fence, and then suddenly it was there. I remember seeing it a few months ago, but cannot put a date or month on when I saw it the first time. I have a photo of 26 Aug. 2003 (yes, I know, more than 2 years ago), and it shows no fence.

Aurel

The fence has only gone up in the last few years IIRC. was definately there last year but not so two or maybe three years ago.

Michael Carter in my signature is one of the men named on it and I was sitting with him and the gang at 11am last 11th November.

Mandy.

It must have been a few years ago that I sat there on a sunny day looking towards Ieper. Maybe the wire fence has been erected to keep the sheep out.

Myrtle