Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 12 Days

Guest tintin

I have not long finished the 12 days a book published in the sixties about the period of diplomacy just before the start of the Great War.

If you ever see it get it. It is one of those rare works where "I could not put it down" is true. Not only does it read like a novel, but I was clearer in my mind at the end of it about things I have studied for years.

Tintin,

Is this a book by G M Thomson, i did a search on Abebooks and this all that came up but it seems to be correct to what you were discussing.

Does it discuss the assasination and those involved or just the diplomacy that goes on between the nations?

Arm

If you ever see it get it. It is one of those rare works where "I could not put it down" is true.

This is one of my favourite Great War reads. First, it concerns that fateful summer of 1914, a time of endless fascination, with Europe at its grandest and greatest. Thomson follows the course and motives of the power-brokers, the men and women in the news (such as Juan Juares, Mme Caillaux, let alone a whole host of bit-players), and the grand procession to cataclysm.

A couple of years ago, I read one chapter on each of the twelve days concerned, an experience which conveyed the remarkable pace of events, enhanced by the summer backdrop against which they were enacted. The writing and perception is excellent. At one point, the French ambassador calls on the Russian court to escalate events, and I sat there thinking "for goodness sake, don't let him in!!" Towards the end, he relates the story of a Austrian train bound for Russia, which, due to the new state of war, is signalled to stop just short of the frontier, leaving the passengers no choice but to slog the dusty trail home in the unremitting sun. Somehow, that scene becomes a metaphor - European peace had reached the end of the line.

If you are interested in 1914, and how the old order signed its own death warrant, this is a must.

Ian i saw a few copies on Abebooks at various places in the UK some from around £5 try there if you interested.

Arm.

• 3 months later...

Having bought this book for £2 at my local WFA meeting in October i have just finished it. At £2 it is a snip and the overall assesment has to be a bloody good read. Whilst at times it had that feel of a film where none of the characters are standing out because there not played by a prominent star, I was atleast knowledgable with some of the French involved and the British and of course the main characters from the Germans. At one point i did flag and did not pick up the book for 10 days or so but that was due more to work than intent.

As i have just finished it i now realise that Europe slipped rather stupidly and criminally into war with all the main parties from the countries not actually realising what they were doing. A very sad state of affairs for all the millions who would pay the ultimate price over the next few years and beyond.

You really get a feeling for an almost unseen hand stearing the ship onto the rocks and the crew doing all the wrong things to keep the ship afloat. If only one person had stood up and said 'STOP' then disaster may have been avoided but all thought that others would be the ones to have the sense.

This is truely what Blackadder meant when he said that all the countires had a plan of which there was only one problem with it...'It was total Bo****ks'

I am indebted to Tintin for starting this thread as i would never have read the book otherwise and been the poorer for it.

If you get a chance to read it do so it has given me a good incite into an area I had little if no real knowledge of. Now onto the next???

Arm.

Is there two books of the same name here?

I have a copy of a book called Twelve Days by a Sidney Rogerson.

I picked it up second hand last month, it's a fantastic read.

It deals with a period of twelve days on the the Somme in November 1916.

If you can get hold of a copy, please do

Also last week I purchased a book called Johnny get your gun, by John F Tucker.

Has anyone read this fine book?

I must admit I'd not heard of it myself, but i'm glad I stumbled across it.

Take care

Ian.

There are two Sidney Rogerson books, both supposed to be excellent, I have never found inexpensive copies of either and a hardback of 12 Days last I heard was real high.

Both books are not cheap but excellent studies. Sidney Rogerson was a Captain with 2nd West Yorks, later a staff Captain with the 8th Division 23rd Brigade.

'The Twelve Days' concerns the Somme and 'The Last of the Ebb' is the Aisne May 1918. From the preface:

'The battle of the Aisne was something different, just as it was more successfully from the enemy's point of view and more disasterous from the point of view of the British or French. At no other time was a British Army Corps so nearly annihilated as was the IX Corps between the Aisne and the Marne in May 1918... it was an astonishing battle in a novel setting, and contained many notable feats of arms. It should therefore be better known.'

If by any remote chance anyone has a photograph of Rogerson could you scan it and pass it on, I will cover any expenses.

I have one photo of him from the magazine 'I was There' but its not very clear.

David

• 11 months later...

Digging in old threads looking for Christmas gifts I came across this book which sounds worth at least a little more investigation. Bringing it to the top to share. Since it sounds a little more price-y than other books, its probably best that I get a copy from Santa's hands.

Andy

There is some confusion in this thread, as there are two books entitled 'The Twelve Days'. Rogerson's is a personal memoir of his army service, and Thomson's is a panorama of Europe on the brink of war.