Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

war diary

fazfearnley

I have a war diary for 121st Brigade R.F.A .I think this may contain my gg-grandads actions during ww1.The diary begins 23/12/1915, and ends 1/14/19 in Glisy .Could anybody offer any advice as to interpret a diary.There are written entry's ,as well as typed letters and also many appendixes.Thanks

Hello Faz.

You mention a war diary - is it an official war diary, do you know? Or is it a private diary to which the author has added some of the paperwork associated with an army unit.

With appendices added it sounds like a copy of the official diary. The "narrative" part of the diary will probably be the handwritten part. It will probably be disjointed, and not kept up fully each day. But it should describe the movements of the brigade, casualties and reinforcements arriving. It will also briefly describe any action which the brigade took part in, unless that action is a part of a major battle, in which case it is likely to be the subject of a separate report. This report could well be among the papers appended to the diary. Appendices most often contain movements orders for the unit. The letters are likely to refer to the administration of the unit, or perhaps congratulating the unit on good performance, etc.

By working your way through the diary, and cross-referencing it against the other paperwork, you should be able to follow the unit as it moves around. Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions puts CXXI (as it is referred to) Bde with 38th (Welsh)Division throughout the war. It spent December 1915 on Larkhill ranges and joined the Division in France in January.

It will then be necessary to cross-reference the information gleaned against other publications that will give you an overview of the brigade's contribution. The best book to start with will probably be "A History of the 38th Division" by Lieutenant-Colonel J.E. Munby (London: Rees, 1920). I haven't checked, but it will almost certainly have been reprinted by Naval & Military Press. Fellow pals will flesh out my suggestions I'm sure. Good hunting!

Hello Faz.

You mention a war diary - is it an official war diary, do you know? Or is it a private diary to which the author has added some of the paperwork associated with an army unit.

With appendices added it sounds like a copy of the official diary. The "narrative" part of the diary will probably be the handwritten part. It will probably be disjointed, and not kept up fully each day. But it should describe the movements of the brigade, casualties and reinforcements arriving. It will also briefly describe any action which the brigade took part in, unless that action is a part of a major battle, in which case it is likely to be the subject of a separate report. This report could well be among the papers appended to the diary. Appendices most often contain movements orders for the unit. The letters are likely to refer to the administration of the unit, or perhaps congratulating the unit on good performance, etc.

By working your way through the diary, and cross-referencing it against the other paperwork, you should be able to follow the unit as it moves around. Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions puts CXXI (as it is referred to) Bde with 38th (Welsh)Division throughout the war. It spent December 1915 on Larkhill ranges and joined the Division in France in January.

It will then be necessary to cross-reference the information gleaned against other publications that will give you an overview of the brigade's contribution. The best book to start with will probably be "A History of the 38th Division" by Lieutenant-Colonel J.E. Munby (London: Rees, 1920). I haven't checked, but it will almost certainly have been reprinted by Naval & Military Press. Fellow pals will flesh out my suggestions I'm sure. Good hunting!

Thank you for your reply it is much appreciated.I purchased the diary from the national archives,it appears to be an official one.My gg-grandad was in 121st R.F.A. ,but other batteries are mentioned,XXXVIII is written on many of the written diaries.Would you know how to find out his whereabouts prior to joining the war as he joined up in 1905 in glasgow but did not leave for Harvre until December 1915?