Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Angus VC

Soren

Hi Pals'

William Angus earning his VC, just at the point he gets to Lt Martin laying wounded under the German parapet, note the rope around his waist which he will put around Lt Martin just in case L/cpl Angus is himself killed in the rescue attempt.

"No 7709 Lance-Corporal William Angus, 8th (Lanark) Battalion, The Highland Light Infantry (Territorial Force) - For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty at Givenchy on 12 June 1915, in voluntarily leaving his trench under very heavy bomb and rifle fire and rescuing a wounded officer who was lying within a few yards of the enemy's position. Lance-Corporal Angus had no chance whatsoever in escaping the enemy's fire when undertaking this very gallant action, and in effecting the rescue he sustained about 40 wounds from bombs, some of them being very serious"

(from the wbsite by the same name)

You can find more details here:

http://www.forvalour.com/frames.htm

I might even have a go at illustrating the whole act, if it does not bore the pants off everyone.......

post-4474-1129612749.jpg

Soren,

I'm being a bit picky here but my Uncle probably witnessed the rescue :D

Should Willie Angus be wearing a Steel Helmet?I thought they were introduced a bit later.

By chance I'm currently having a photo of L/Cpl Angus returning to Carluke reprinted for a Forum Member whose main interest is the 8th Royal Scots.(let's not go down the copyright route)

George

Soren,

I'm being a bit picky here but my Uncle probably witnessed the rescue :D

Should Willie Angus be wearing a Steel Helmet?I thought they were introduced a bit later.

By chance I'm currently having a photo of L/Cpl Angus returning to Carluke  reprinted for a Forum Member whose main interest is the 8th Royal Scots.(let's not go down the copyright route)

George

Yhep, you are probably correct George, I had thought about it whilst drawing, I seem to remember that they were brought in during 1915 but when?

If he did without the helmet, he's even braver than I thought!! :)

Soren,

This is how the short history of the 8th Royal Scots records it

"The enemy exploded a mine on the second night,and Lt J. Martin was missing.Early on the morning of the 12th,Lt Martin was observed lying on the German parapet,and was seen to move slightly.Supported by covering rifle and machine-gun fire(My Uncle was a Cpl/Sjt in the Machine-Gun Section),No. 7709,L/Cpl W. Angus crept forward,and succeeded in rousing Lt. Martin,who managed to reach our line in spite of heavy bombing by the enemy.L/Cpl Angus also got back,though severely wounded.For this most gallant act,L/Cpl Angus was awarded the V.C."

Whilst taking nothing away from Willie Angus it seems strange, with the passage of time, that the rescuer suffered more than the man he rescued.

I'll let you decide if you can find a place in any future drawing for No. 20 ,Cpl. G. Souness, Machine Gun Section ,8th Royal Scots. :D

George

Great illstration, but the helmet thing puzzles me too. Brits received them at earliest in very late 1915, and they came standard in early 1916. Germans tested several steel helmets in late 1915 (Stahlhelm in December?) but even during the next year most of the troops still wore pickelhaubes.

So I`d put pickelhaubes on Fritzies and Glengarry or bonnet on the Jockey.