Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID Tag?

Andrew Hesketh

I'm sure many of you will be able to tell me what this object is. It is with a collection of medals (pip, squeak and wilfred) belonging to someone I am doing some research for (by the way I do this for free so I will not be profitting from your wisdom!). It looks like an ID tag to me but weren't they fibrous?

All suggestions very welcome,

Andrew

Other side ( no idea which is front or back). Also pictures are a little unclear. Sorry for that.

post-23-1060160250.jpg

It's an early pattern official issue ID disk; while there is some debate over this, my own research has shown it was largely worn by units in hot climates (Gallipoli, Salonika, India etc), and was common in some TF units, and no doubt the occasional KA unit as well.

I have read that all the men in the BEF of 1914 wore these, but I have never found evidence to confirm this - in my experience, they had the single red fibre disk.

Paul,

That's excellent. The owner was a member of the 2nd Sherwood Foresters and, whilst I have not yet had an opportunity to consult the Medal Rolls for confimation, I suspect he may well have been one of the battalion's original members or a very early draft to the battalion, so this would fit with the possibility of it being 1914 issue. Much appreciated.

Andrew

Andrew,

The tag is of a type issued to the Edwardian British Army and continued in use upto and during WW1.

Paul,

I'm still unsure as to your theory about them being issued to those serving in hot climates (only, that is!) as I have several to soldiers who travelled no further than France (one of whom was issued with his tag in 1911).Another belongs to a KOYLI Terrier who landed in France (and served nowhere else other than Belgium and home) in 1915 and several to post-Gallipoli, Western Front only, serving Aussies (who ,it seems, held on to this type of disc longer than most other nations - one being issued in 1917!).

I'm getting deja-vu again! :blink:

Dave. :D

Dave - I would agree; it is only a theory on my part, based on photographic evidence and access I once had to a very large collection of ID disks where the majority of this pattern were not to men who served in F/F... like everything where the army is concerned, there are always exceptions!

I would agree the AIF seem to have hung on to these longer than anyone else; I have examined a number found around Pozieres, mainly to men who had not served in Gallipoli (but HAD served in Egypt... <_< ), and they were all of this type.

A fascinating subject, the final word of which is a long way from being written.

Paul

I can only add my tuppence to say that I have one to an Aussie of 2nd Tunneling Co who served only in F/F and nowhere else, (according to his service records) without a stop in Egypt or elsewhere. It does seem that the ANZACS held on to these much longer than elsewhere, but certainly I agree - the last word has yet to be written.

Patrick

A fascinating subject, the final word of which is a long way from being written.

....if ever!!!

Just to add more confusion, I've got a "pair" issued to a guy from the South Lancs (pre-1914 regular) who was transferred to the 1/OBLI and sent to Mespot in Oct 1915. His original (aluminium)tag is stamped to the S.Lancs and engraved with his OBLI details on the reverse. The other tag is of the round, red fibre variety and is the "stop-gap" hand written (as opposed to stamped) variety (I possess two others of this style, but have only ever come across maybe 5 more - quite a rare type!). I believe that this fibre disc was issued after his arrival in Mesopotamia.I think I may have posted a photo of this pair on a previous thread.

As you say, there are always exceptions, and it seems to me (after studying the tags of many periods and nations) that, except on paper, there is no "rule" to follow. (With the exception ,maybe, of French and Italian "official" tags, which seem pretty "uniform").

Dave.