Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private PTW Stephenson, Royal Fusiliers

JohnS

Hello,

About a year ago, I posted a thread about my grandfather's eldest brother: Private Percival Thomas Weir STEPHENSON. He was in 2nd Battalion of The Royal Fusiliers and was killed during the third Battle of Ypres on 26th October 1917. I had never been able to find any official information about his death. It wasn't mentioned on his MIC, his service record didn't exist and I couldn't find a death certificate for him.

I gathered all the evidence I could (newspaper obituary, wife described as widow when remarried etc etc) and sent it to the GRO. They have now issued me with his death certificate. It is dated 11th October 2005 - just short of 88 years late, but I'm overjoyed!

The CWGC are also going to put his name in Tyne Cot and on their website when it is next updated.

Has anyone else ever discovered a relative who was not remembered by the State for their part in the War?

Congratulations, John. You must feel very pleased.

The death certificate is the key to getting a quick decision fromthe MoD/CWGC. I'm two years+ into discussions with over over a chap on my local war memorial and still no final response.

John

• 2 weeks later...

It is 88 years today since he was killed in action. I visted an elderly second cousin today and she gave me a photo of him with wife and son about one year before he died. He seems more real now that I have a photo of him. I've also just visited the CWGC site and they have at last put his name in their online database. :D