Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary - 11th east Lancs

whkay

Could somebody please supply me with a scan of the war dairy for the date shown?

Many thanks..

Mark

Could somebody please supply me with a scan of the war dairy for the date shown?

Many thanks..

Mark

Mark.

As you can see, it's not exactly the most informative war diary entry ever for this day!!!

Dave...

post-357-1129575635.jpg

I was surprised to see the scan looking like that - I expected it to be hand written. Has the War Diary been transcribed for sale by someone or did you do it yourself? Phil B

I was surprised to see the scan looking like that - I expected it to be hand written. Has the War Diary been transcribed for sale by someone or did you do it yourself? Phil B

No I didn't do it, and it's (definately) not been done for sale either. This is from Walter Holmes' transcription (with assistance from Bill Turner) of the diary. I've got a copy of the complete work if anyone needs a "look-up".

Dave.

Thanks Dave, it was two who were accidently killed on the 27th I was interested in. Strange this, all the books I've read mention these poor souls being shot by an accidently discharged bullet and from then on the chap who fired it having a death wish, being killed on 1st July. I see that nobody went into detail about the accident..

Have you any thoughts on who this chap was?

Can you also kindly let me have a scan of transcription for 28th & 29th June 1918 please?

Can you also kindly let me have a scan of transcription for 28th & 29th June 1918 please?

Mark.

The next 3 scans cover the whole of june 1918...

post-357-1129749549.jpg

post-357-1129749589.jpg

post-357-1129749618.jpg

it was two who were accidently killed on the 27th I was interested in.  Strange this, all the books I've read mention these poor souls being shot by an accidently discharged bullet and from then on the chap who fired it having a death wish, being killed on 1st July.  I see that nobody went into detail about the accident..

Have you any thoughts on who this chap was?

No idea, I'm afraid. All my references either don't mention the incident at all or only give it the same type of detail as that of the War Diary.

Dave.

As usual Dave, marvelous, many thanks for your continued help..

It was the map references I was after and what do you know...

Thanks again

Mark