Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex 2nd Bn - 1914,1915,1916.

shaymen

I have the 2nd Essex War Dairies for the whole of 1916.

Anyone want a look up just ask.

Glyn

Ditto for 1914 & 1915, so we're really getting somewhere...

Same offer as Glyn's.

Cheers,

Michael

That's good news Glyn. Dare say I shall be calling on your services soon !!

Patrick

• 1 month later...

Might these include 'EA (Essex) Heavy Battery RGA? If so, I'm interested in brief very brief - highlights 1912-1916.

Might these include 'EA (Essex) Heavy Battery RGA? If so, I'm interested in brief very brief - highlights 1912-1916.

Sorry to disappoint you. Only the Infantry Battalions. :(

Cheers,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
I would be interested in any mention of Captain William Mountcharles Vandeleur killed 26/9/1914

Many Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Killed in action 26 August 1914, during the famous battle of Le Cateau. He is only mentioned briefly in the War Diary and in Burrows.

Wed., Aug 26, 1914 EN ROUTE IN FRANCE

1.30 p.m.

A, C & D Companies left BETHENCOURT – route COUDRY – LIGNY – HAUCOURT – ESNES –

3 p.m.

C&D Companies Delayed for about 1 hour , at LIGNY owing to artillery halting in the town & blocking the road, so that it was impossible to advance in single file

4.30 a.m.

Arrived ESNES. A & B Companies there on hill near L of LONGSART entrenching.

6 a.m.

Heavy Gun & machine gun fire opened on A & B Companies – C & D Companies ordered to take up position near sugar factory ¾ miles S of N in LONGSART, to cover retirement.

8 a.m.?

Retirement from LONGSART commenced towards SELVIGNY – Enemy did not pursue beyond wood S of LONGSART with infantry. – but with gun fire only.

1. p.m.

Enemy having apparently evacuated hill – an advance was ordered to recover wounded. – on arrival at top of LONGSART hill many wounded & [inserted: killed] were found. – Enemy opened heavy fire a retirement was ordered. This was very steadily carried out by the Bn under a very heavy shell fire, in the direction of SELVIGNY.

Casualties – Cap Vandeleur, 9 men killed Lt. Round (since dead) Lt. Smith Masters & 40 men wounded. Lt. Northey (3rd Bn) & 98 men missing.

6.20 p.m.

Retirement ordered to VENDHUILE – route WALMCOURT – MALIMCOURT – VILLERS OUTRAÉUX – AUBENCHEULS – VENDHUILE – Battn. advance guard.

10.30 p.m.

Arrived VENDHUILE and billeted.

--- signed F.Gore Anley, Lieut. Colonel, O.C. 2nd Bn Essex Regiment.

Appendix:

CAPTAIN W.M.C. VANDELEUR Killed near ESNES on 26.8.14.

Source: War Diaries 2nd Battalion The Essex Regiment, N.A. Transcribed by yours truly.

“ The casualties of 12th Brigade numbered over 1,000, and of this total 141 were from 2nd Essex. The commander of “A” Company, Captain W. M. C. Vandeleur, was killed, with nine other ranks. "

Source: Essex Units in the War 1914 - 1919, Vol. 2, 2nd Battalion The Essex Regiment, John. Wm. Burrows, 1927.

Cheers,

Michael

Happy New Year Glyn and Michael!

Could you please tell me what was happening on the week this young officer died please ?can you tell me anything about him ?

Major GERALD CHARLES BINSTEED

MC

2nd Bn., Essex Regiment

who died age 30

on 08 April 1915

Son of Maj. C. H. F. Binsteed (1st Madras Lancers) and Consuelo Binsteed, of Hanover Court, Hanover Square, London.

Remembered with honour

CALVAIRE (ESSEX) MILITARY CEMETERY

Thank you both for all your help!

Annie :)

Annie

Here he is in Burrows - Bottom paragraph page 122 - Scans courtesy of Michael.

I will let Michael check the War Diary

Regards and A Happy New Year

Glyn

post-5500-1136137312.jpg

A very happy & fruitful new year indeed to all of you!

Two mentions of Captain Binsteed in the War Diary:

Wed., Sep 8- 9, 1914 EN ROUTE IN FRANCE

5. a.m.

Batt. moved out of bivouac and took up a position facing N with left resting on L of TARTAREL - D Company sent to reconnoitre river crossing at “BARRAGE” – SE of CHAMPIGNY. – Battn. moved forward with Lancashire Fusiliers to cross river MARNE ; halting at VAUHARLIN while wood to E side of river was reconnoitred by Major Moffitt & Lt. Binsteed. Battn. move in single file through the thick wood to E side of road opposite BARRAGE – Sgt. Sharpley & 8 men sent forward to reconnoitre BARRAGE [and] draw the enemy’s fire - BARRAGE found to be held – Machine gun section and Lancashire Fusiliers machine gun section placed at edge of wood 450 yds on right flank to cover advance. – Pte. Gray returned under fire from Sgt. Sharpley to [ This word has been crossed out] show a covered way to BARRAGE – 2 men of Sgt. SHARPLEY’S party were wounded in going forward. – guided by Pte. Gray, Lt Vance & 1 platoon moved forward to BARRAGE – Enemy retired under fire from machine guns. – BARRAGE crossed by Bn. followed by Lancashire Fusiliers & Rifle Bde. – Bn. bivouacked at road junction ¼ mile NW of CHAMPIGNY. –

RAILWAY BRIDGE at LE SAUSSOY CHATEAU said to be mined but discovered to be only prepared for the mining.

--- signed F.Gore Anley, Lieut. Colonel, O.C. 2nd Bn Essex Regiment.

Wed., Apr 7, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

5 pm

Very quiet but wet. The German artillery sent over some few rounds at nothing in particular and our field guns replied. Pechell bridged the WARNAVE.

Casualties

2 Killed, 1 wounded

--- signed L.O.W. Jones, Capt commanding 2/ Battn The Essex Rgt

Thu., Apr 8, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

A very quiet day on the whole; though the German artillery was active in the afternoon they did not shell our trenches. Capt Binsteed was killed while looking out at the observation hole half way up the back wall of Central Farm.

Casualties NIL

Fri., Apr 9, 1915 TRENCHES NEAR LE BIZET, FRANCE

8.30 AM

We exploded a mine near a German barricade at Le TOUQUET opposite the Lancs. Fus. while our artillery shelled the houses and trenches. The Monmouths relieved us in the trenches. The left communication trench through to the LRB trenches.

Casualties

2 Killed, 2 wounded

[Transcribed by yours truly, unproofed version so don't quote the typos as gospel...]

Very curious fact. No casualties on 8 April, 1915 and at the same time Capt. Binsteed was killed. The mind boggles...

Cheers,

Michael

• 18 years later...

Hi Glyn and Micheal,

I wish you both well.

I am looking into any diary entries for Arthur Edward Parrish, he served for the 2nd and died on the 17th october 1916.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Antony

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @shaymen and @GrandsonMichael haven’t visited the forum for a few years. My tag might alert them to your post.