Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buckinghamshire Roll Of Honour

Guest Bux Boy

For over ten years now I have been involved in recording Bucks Memorials for The National Inventry Of War Memorials, Whilst reading through the newspapers of the time to locate the unveiling and dedication of the Memorials I noticed a lot of men being mentioned for various reasons such as in letters, wounded, medals and of course being killed and it occured to me that this information would be of use to family historians and medal collectors. so I began to record the entries and it grew to collating the following sources:-

1. Bucks Roll Of Honour.(a hand written book began in 1914 and stopped on the introduction of National Service, 19000 names)

2. 1918 Absent Voters List.(25,380 names)

3. Soldiers Died In The Great War.(around 5000 Bucks men)

4. The Commonweath War Graves Commission.

5. The 10 Local Newspapers of the time between 1914 and 1920

6. The Bucks Btn casualty book.

7. Royal Bucks Hussars Transfer book.

8. Over 440 Bucks Memorials.

To date I have indexed and put on floppy disk letters A,B,C and D and the work is on going.

If there is any body reading this who had a relative who was either born or was resident in Bucks during The Great War and served let me know the details so I can ensure their included

so, how many men from Bucks were in the war, and what proportion were they of the total population of the shire? And are you including women? :)

Christine.

I have not totaled the number yet but gave approximate numbers alongside each of the sources, with regard to your question about females, yes I'm including everybody who served and with regard to the proportion of servicemen to the population I'll leave that to the academics.

Bux,

My grandfather is included on a Roll of Service produced mid-war by McCorqudales of Wolverton. Do you have this one?