Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berlin Sap

nige

Hi all,

Tried to find the start of the Berlin Sap on our last Trip to Ieper in 2004.

Followed Tom Morgans details to the letter and my wife and I spent quite some time there, but darned if we could find it.

I also heard a rumour that it was to be re-opened???

Could anyone clarify this and give me some idea as to the start of the tunnel, as I hope to be returning shortly.

Regards

to all

Nige

Don't you mean the Bremen Redoubt? (I've never heard of a 'Berlin Sap'!)

If you want Bremen instead of Berlin, I don't know if the tunnel has been re-opened yet. If so, definetely go there! I don't know of any other well-preserved tunnels around Ypres...

For more info how to get there:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.fairwea...docs/wwimem.htm

regards

roel

Hi,

I can probably help you on this, but could you please be a little more specific? Where exactly would this 'Berlin Sap' be located? Can you also post the link to the description you're talking about?

If it is in an area now covered with forest of some sort, it is very well possible that you missed it, cause in summer it can be quite a wilderness. If you are looking for leftovers in the landscape, winter is probably the best time to go.

Bert

Hello,

If my memory is good, there was once talking about a 'Berlin Sap' at Hill60 - Larch Wood.

I'll try to look it up.

Regards,

Cnock.

Thanks to Roel, Bert and Cnock for their replies,

I certainly should have been far more specific, please accept my apologies.

Cnock is spot on, Hill 60, the tunnel beginning just beyond Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) cemetary.

The link from Tom Morgans page is

http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/hill60.htm

Many thanks again and trust you might be able to enlighten me somewhat.

Nige

As far as I know, it is very easy to find, but the sap can now only be identified as a small mound in the pastureland. When you are standing at the Southern most wall of Larch wood cemetery and you look towards hill 60 you see these little mounds in the pasture land, just a few meters from the cemetery wall. This is were the sap began.

Hallo Bert,

I think what You mean is on one of the follwing pics taken from Larch Wood Cem to HILL60

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1129457322.jpg

Other view from Larch Wood Cem to Hill60

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1129457372.jpg

Thanks Guys,

On either of these 2 photos, do you have any idea where the tunnel would have commenced, and have you or any other members heard any rumours regarding its re-excavation.

Regards

Nige

re-excavation???

I haven't heard anything about that, and I am almost 100% sure it is just a rumour.

This area is not threatened. It is just pasture land. Would seem very unlikely that they would excavate there.

Bert

Hello,

I haven't heard anything neither about re-excavation.

Regards,

Cnock

I am away from my tunnelling books and maps at the moment so forgive me if I make a mistake here. The Berlin tunnel had two entrances, one from within the mound photographed above and another further along the railway embankment, going toward the Dump. The tunnel pushed out toward Hill 60 and forked out, one tunnel going under the Hill and the other going under the geographical structure known as the Caterpillar. Following the mine explosions of 7 Jun 17, if these tunnels survive today chances are they are filled with water. A couple of years ago I was chatting with Johan Vandewalle, of tunnelling fame, at his cafe and he mentioned to me that it would be far too dangerous to drain the Berlin Tunnel (If it survives) due to the fact that part of it runs under where the railway is today. there is just too much risk of subsidence.

Regards

Iain

Thanks everyone for your information and replies.

I will try to remember or locate where this info came from. I can remember that it came from someone who had excellent knowledge of the battlefields and my ears pricked up when I heard.

Any further thoughts re the entrance location. I guess what I am asking, is there still evidence on or near the mound that a tunnel actually existed, or has it disappeared as nature slowly reclaims the landscape.

Regards to all

Nige