Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Guest WMARTIN

Hi,

I'm trying to find out info on my Grandfather and namesake William Martin, I've got his Regt No 23304 and from that his medal card showing he was awarded the Victory British and 15 Star and he served in Western France from 2-10-15. What I dont know is the regiment he served in and where he fought. Looks like a 13 before R-Scots on the medal card, does this mean 13th Battalion?

Any ideas for where next? I'm going to try Kew for service records but don't hold much hope after reading many were lost. Would be great to find out a bit more about him. Have a photodated 28-2-17 of him standing next to "a Belgian couple" according to annotation on back, family gossip is he stayed with them after "escaping capture or something", no-one left who can comment on this.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Willie

Willie,

If you can attach a picture of his MIC on here I'm sure some of the experts on the forum may be able to glean further info off it for you.

Hi Willie,

The number would seem to indicate 11th, 12th or 13th battalion. My relative was 23004 and served with the 13th battalion before being killed in 1916.

I will see what I can find in my archive, but to be honest at the moment it all boxed up having recently moved and now moving again!!! But withing the next week or so I should get the chance.

PM me or email me everything you have and it should get us started.

Cheers,

Tim