Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Similar Site for WW2?

kerry

A bit off track but grateful for your expertise - I'm re-enacting a WW2 Wartime Weekend in Pickering and need to know if my No 5 Service Dress is the same as it's WW2 counterpart. Can anyone suggest a web resource?

Apologies and thanks.

Kerry

There isn't really a similar forum to this one, except for:

http://www.ww2forums.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

which is about the best WW2 forum on the net.

In terms of WW2 British Army information there is my own WW2 site:

http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/

but there isn't any info about the uniform you mention on there; the main focus of the site is battlefield information and info on the operations of the British Army in WW2 and its ORBATs - that bit is still under construction, however!

Paul I have visited that site you posted a thread to and its not bad as a forum but i cant help thinking that it does not have the class of this forum.

Bit like soccer and rugby one for the boys(soccer of course) and the other for real men :D

Seriously i found it a good little site to post some comments on but dont get your hopes up i will not be defecting to them, i can spot a set up a mile away you dont get rid of me that easy. Do ya think i'm stupid or what?

Arm

I think you've made an interesting point there Arm - the reason it is very different is that interest in WW2 has not moved on to the extent interest in WW1 has... despite film and TV. There is a growing interest, but I would say that interest in WW2 - in terms of how people approach it - is about the same WW1 was in the early 1980s. At the moment those interested in WW2 are largely 'Sprocket fanciers' - they know the inside leg measurements of every Falschemjager unit, and can recite by heart all the Knights Cross citations for Kursk, but they don't have the same sentimental attachment to the study of the war, that is common with WW1 - and few people are interested in the activities of the British Army in WW2. The study of WW2 is dominated by the Nazis, both in print and in the classroom (certainly in the UK).

But this is beginning to change; since I put my own WW2 site up, which takes the same approach I have used to study the Great War, I have had a tremendous reaction to it. And since I have been adding info on British divisions in WW2, I get an awful lot of enquiries from people tracing fathers, uncles, and even grandfathers.

But it is a good forum, and some of the UK members of it are very helpful.