Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Flying Corps or R.A.F.

Guest R P Miller

Guest R P Miller

Im not sure if Im posting this in the correct area, but my question is to do with M.I.C. information that is contained on for

William Joseph Miller

Royal Flying Corps Cadet

Royal Flying Corps Second Lieutenant

In the Commonwealth War Grave he is listed as being KIA 17 September 1918

24th Sqdn Royal Air Force.

My question is what does Cadet mean ?

Can anybody tell me?

A Young Student Trainee Airman,

Guest R P Miller
A Young Student Trainee Airman,

was there a age limit like you could join or enlist if under 16 years old. I do understand some did lie about there age.

Why Im asking is that there no age given on CWGC site and Im trying to link him to somebody who was Born 1900 in Buxted, East Sussex.

R P

2Lt W J Miller of No 24 Sqn RAF was killed in action on 17 September 1918 while flying SE 5a B8412. He was on an Offensive Patrol, and was last seen in combat with enemy aircraft over Vermand. There doesn't seem to be a confirmed claim by a German fighter pilot that matches his loss.

I think that his MIC entry might relate to his being a direct entrant to the RAF (the RFC was combined with the RNAS to form the RAF on 1 April 1918) as a would-be pilot, which would make him a Cadet. He could certainly have joined the RAF when aged 18, or thereabouts. After graduating as a pilot, he would have been commissioned as a Second Lieutenant.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

24 Sqn RAF were based at Cappy on 17th sep 1918

All the Best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest R P Miller

UPDATE.

Just seen his Service Records at Kew, This gentleman was born 24 November 1895. His Home Address was given as Port of Spain, Trinidad.

So he not related to my William Joseph Miller as he was born December 1899 in Buxted, East Sussex.