Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great British Commanders

Stephen Nulty

Not sure exactly where to post this, but I wanted to highlight to Pals that at 7.30 this evening, "Great British Commanders" on Channel 5 is about Douglas Haig.

To quote the blurb "Major Gordon Corrigan profiles Field Marshal Douglas Haig, a figure he believes does not deserve the blame for losses during World War One's Battle of The Somme".

whom he will blame then

Let's not head off down that slippery slope !!! :)

That's not a slope it's a clif

..........................................f

...........................................!

............................................!

.............................................!

..............................................!

................................................Steve. :wacko:

Since the blurb indicates that there is blame to apportion, one wonders whom he will blame then? <_<  Phil B

The Germans, maybe?

Anthony

Hello,

Thanks for the warning. I watched the programme. It seemed reasonable to me, albeit, rather superficial. But, after all, it was only half an hour less ads. I also liked the presenters book.

Old Tom

The Germans, maybe?

Anthony

Hi Anthony, :)

Surely not the Germans ?!!!!! :P

Cheers

Tim.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Evans of the Broke

Really enjoying these weekly programmes.

Henry V was 'great' last week, but this weeks John Churchill - Duke of Marlborough was a God.

Like was pointed out with his military capabilities; Strategically, tactically, logistically, and also in caring for his men, and taking a rag bag army into a disiplined and highly efficient fighting force to be feared, was something that places him among the creme de la creme in the history of the worlds greats.

Beautiful.

Glad Haig wasn't English ;) Jk aside i really believe this man is worthy to be thought of better than the cynics on here who just like a pop for the sake of it. After all an inter-war German study, entitled "Great Commanders of the World War," gave Haig a simple sobriquet, "Master of the Field."

Glad Haig wasn't English ;) Jk aside i really believe this man is worthy to be thought of better than the cynics on here who just like a pop for the sake of it. After all an inter-war German study, entitled "Great Commanders of the World War," gave Haig a simple sobriquet, "Master of the Field."

I like sweeping generalizations and belittling of opposing views! The anti-Haigists are "cynics who just like a pop for the sake of it". What would the sweeping G for the pro-Haigists be? :) Phil B

"Maybe it's the Germans!" Ha Ha .... picture me laughing out loud during the wee hours in the morning on the history faculty hall ...

I love this place!!!! (now, singing the SPAM song with the word SPAM being substituted by Haig)

I think it is truly amazing ... that we actually care about the judgement of this man so long after his career. John Churchill is probably considered by most English speaking residents of this earth as the creater of the cigarette more than a victor over the French in a forgotten war at a forgotten place. Haig, is perhaps the British Lee ... (I can't believe I just said that!!!) Not that he sittith on the Right hand as Marsa Robert does, but that he will always be debated and always be important ...

For all you social historians or Sociologists out there ... who boil everything down to class or great social movements of "interests" ... there is a Haig. A man who acted and did ... he actually changed the world ... kinda makes you tear up a bit ... a vindication for the role of the individual in history ...

I'm waiting for the thread at the end of Haig's diary when the reader turns the page ... and the last line on the last page reads ...

"Hey, it was a job ... beats raking muck ... and I did what I could."

Just kidding ....

Spam/Haig song fading out.

No, Andy, this isn`t a Haigfest it`s a question of attitude of pros v cons. Haig is simply the vehicle in this case. Though he is a very catalytic vehicle!

I wonder - What would Bobby Lee say to Earl H if Lee is allowed in the C of S (peers) section of Martial Heaven? That`s one opinion I would give weight to! Phil B

Andy,

I like that posting! Picture me walking down a history faculty hall in the late hours of the day smiling at the idea of the final page of Haig's diary.......