Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting DCM Card

Hedley Malloch

I am researching a soldier who was awrded the DCM. He has two MICs: one for his Victory, British and 15 Star; the second only carries his DCM. I am lookng for help in interpreting his DCM card.

This has three columns: Operations, Vol. and Page and two lines of handwritten text

One line on his DCM card reads "DCM LG (under Operations); 1-1-1917; (under vol)and 1364-43" (under Page)

The second line has "CIT-" (under Operations); 13-2-1917 (under Vol); and 1370-22 (under Page)

I can make some inspired guesses as to what all this means, but I would really appreciate some expert counsel.

Many thanks in advance.

One line on his DCM card reads "DCM LG (under Operations); 1-1-1917; (under vol)and 1364-43" (under Page)

The second line has "CIT-" (under Operations); 13-2-1917 (under Vol); and 1370-22 (under Page)

Announcement was in the London Gazette dated 1-1-1917 and page reference .

Citation was in London Gazette dated 13-2-1917 and page reference.

On the Gazette search you will either need to enter full name "John Arthur Smith" or Name and initial "John A. Smith". The dates of the Gazette referenced on the online search will be the published dates which can be up to 3 days before the date of the Gazette referenced on the MIC. e.g. the 1-1-1917 will probably be in December 1916.

I would start here for citations if you can't find him on the search:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

and here for the announcements:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Can't make head nor tail of the page numbers though!

Steve.

Steve,

I'll try that. Many thanks.

Hedley