Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this???

Guest paula3

If you've read my previous posts you'll my uncle was Pte John Loud, who died in the 3rd Ypres on the 26th october 1917. I thought this was him, but now I'm not sure. He was in the Loyal North Lancs Regt as a driver, but this uniform does not tally! Could it still be him? If it isn't I've no idea who it could be, unless it is John's older brother Joseph, who I think may have been in the same regiment. Still does not explain the uniform though!

post-8130-1129220843.jpg

Paula

The MICs for John and Joseph Loud are below. They indicate that both served in the Loyals and that John also served in the Army Service Corps.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Your photo shows a Lance Corporal in the Army Medical Corps who could possibly be this man - C. W. Loud. A possible relation?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=48

Dave

I suppose it could be another relative. How would I find out where CW Loud was from? Can you tell from the uniform where in the country he was based? Could it have been Preston? I downloaded the index card but no more info. I'm going to do a quick search of the 1901 census. Where to then, though? I searched the war graves commission, no trace, so he obviously survived the war.

Presumably they are this family:

Living at "Woodfields", Aighton, Lancashire.

Name, date and place of birth, relation.

William Loud abt 1861 Preston, Lancashire, Head, General Labourer.

Mary Loud abt 1859 Lutton, Lancashire, Wife

Mary Loud abt 1891 Woodfields, Lancashire, Daughter

Mary Ellen Loud abt 1894 Woodfields, Lancashire, Daughter

Joseph Loud, abt 1897, Woodfields, Lancashire, Son

John Loud, abt 1899, Woodfields, Lancashire, Son

There are two more MICS for RAMC Louds - another CW and Charles F.

No mention of a Charles or CW....

Looking at the online birth registrations (and bearing in mind that they are not 100% complete)

There is only one Charles F Loud - Charles Frederick, borm 1884 in Islington.

If the C W is also a Charles, then there are two - one born Sculcoates 1884, the other Saddleworth 1876.

Unlikely to be closely related to John and Joseph...

Steve.

Tis is the only other relative I know to have served in ww1 - my g g grandad -

Medal card of Dumphy, George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Army Service Corps T/19079 Serjeant

Army Service Corps T/19079 Corporal

Could it be him. My mum said he was an ambulance driver?

Chris it looks too thin to be a proper walking stick, put any weight on it and you,d be on the floor. Certainly not any military type swagger stick. I think along with the small table he is leaning on its a typical photographers prop of the times designed to make the sitter look a little more prestigious or "swanky". probably only "toffs" were thought to go about with canes like that. Although I noted once in the video of the Battle of the Somme one of the shots of a battalion marching up for 1/7 that one of the young subalterns is not only wearing shorts like most of his men, but swinging his most subalternish cane of just such a type as he goes by the camera. SG