Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Numbers

Guest R P Miller

Guest R P Miller

I understand that service numbers for soldiers during the first world war is a very complex system.

But can anybody tell me if service numbers were give as a national thing or was the number's given by the Regiment's that soldier's enlisted with for example could one soldier enlist with Sussex Reg have a number of G/262 and another soldier enlist with Royal west Kent Regiment and have the same number G/262.

The period Im talking was at the begining of the War.

In Memory of Two Brother's

Pte G/962 Hercules Booker KIA 9/10/1915 6th Bn, QUeen's Own Royal west Kent Regiment.

Pte G/9224 Joseph Booker KIA 22/09/1918 7th Bn, Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment.

The latter I'm afraid. As you'll have noticed, typing G/262 in the search box on the NA MIC search facility returns five results - five different men for four different regiments.

There is however logic to a good deal of the numbering sequences. Have a search on this forum under "numbers" or "numbering" for instance and see what you come up with. There has been a good deal of discussion on this at various times in the past.

If you are looking for information on a specific soldier, post your query here with as much information as you have.

Paul

Hi,

Its almost too complex to attempt to answer in one thread.

Its been covered quite a lot on the forum in some good detail, and the best thing to do is to go through the search facility.

To my knowledge, things were more Regimentally based and then also a separate system across the TF and then also through the Service/New army Battalions. That's about as far as I dare commit.

regards

doogal

for example could one soldier enlist with Sussex Reg have a number of G/262 and another soldier enlist with Royal West Kent Regiment and have the same number G/262.

Not only could two men in different Regiments share the Same number[Not likely in the case of Prefixed eg:"G"/ Numbers],Men in different Battalions of the same Regiment could have the same number,especially in the TF Battalions,[where more than one TF Bn existed;prior to the extensive TF re~numbering in 1916]

Service Numbers that were retained by individual Soldiers {excepting a few exceptions,{eg: The Militia}just to make life "interesting"}that were retained throughout their Service,regardless of which units they were subsequently posted to didn't come into being until the 1920s.prior to then on each transfer/posting it was usual for a new number to be given,often even within the same Regiment

There are many examples where soldiers shared the same Regimental number. A quick search of the Soldiers Died CD shows how common it was and how complex the system was.

You would need a whole seperate Forum to explain it all in depth.

However, some Pals do have a great deal of knowledge on this subject, so keep asking and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Regards

PAUL J

As proof of the complexity, my relative had 3 service numbers - one for the Herefordshire Regt, one for the KSLI and one for the 11th Bn Border Regt. Confusion reigns!! :blink:

NeilD

Neil,

Not one upmanship but just to alert RP :D

My Uncle had three numbers and he never left the Royal Scots.He was TF by the way and as a Pioneer was digging in the Munich Trench area in November 1916.

George

R.P.Miller,

This is the paragraph from Kings Regulations 1912 amended to August 1914 regarding regimental numbering, which was done on a regiment to regiment basis. The Special Reserve and Territorials used a similar system, but on a battalion to battalion basis. Nor did not increase their issue of numbers as the regulars did in 1908 to the new ceiling figure's as shown, and so their highest figure remained at 9999.

Prior to 1908 the ceiling figure for regimental numbering among the infantry and cavalry was 1-9999, while the Artillery was 1-99999, R.Engineers 1-29999 and the ASC and Medics to 19999.

Using regimental journals I have been able to establish that under the old system of 1-9999 an infantry regiment, prior to 1908, could take between 20-30yrs to use all of those numbers up.

It's a fascinating subject, but does get complicated during WWI as the numbers detailed on a mans Medal Index Card or Medal Roll Sheet only show the regimental number he actually stepped ashore with on active service, this includes transfers to other units on active service. They do not show any numbers that may have been issued while serving with other units at home. These are only shown on a mans service documents.

Graham.