Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need assistance

Guest Reeves919825

Guest Reeves919825

Can anyone provide me with any assistance? I am trying to research the service records of Pte. T. G. Walker of the Highland Light Infantry. He served during the First World War. I have his regiment number from the edge of his service medals but I'm not having a lot of luck on the National Archives website, other than his medal card. Is there some way of finding out which batallion of the H. L. I. he belonged to? I am located in Vancouver, BC so any responses I make my be delayed by a day or two due to time zone differences. Thanks in advance.

Reeves,

What does the Medal Card Show? No battalion mentioned?

Presume he was not killed or died in the war? If the Medal Card does not give Bn info, and he was not a casualty, then guess you would need his service record. As you may have seen from this site's info there is only appx one-third chance his records survived the Blitz.

The records are held on microfilm at Kew but you need either a kind Pal who is already going there to have a look for you, or pay a professional researcher.

Presumably there is no surviving documention from his service in the family - eg discharge papers?

Ian

Reeves,

Could you tell us his regt. no. please. If your man is Thomas G. Walker, 4577, HLI, then you will be able to get a bit more on him because he was a casualty. However, can't say too much more until we know his service number.

Stuart