Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sunset Division

andigger

Pals - I have to admit I am weak on my country's contribution to the Great War, especially the units and formations that went over. So I've taken it as a bit a of a hobby to research the men on the local memorial, and I am starting to make some progress.

One of the guys was in the 41st (AEF) Div, 162 Infantry amd it appears he was stationed at company HQ.... I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if any one on forum might have some info or references they could point me towards to find out what the unit was doing in the fall of 1918.

Of course I am digging on the internet, but I am hoping to leverage some of the hard work that I am sure has already been done.

Thanks in advance.... Andy

Hi Andy,

The 41st made it to France but did not see any action. I will try to poke around tonight to see where they were stationed.

Take care,

Neil

Andy.

After arrival in France (between Oct 18th and Dec.7th 1917), they were designated the 1st Depot Division and were stationed at the St.Aignan training area. The Div. was then broken up and formed into training cadres for the instruction of replacement combat troops.

The only part of the division to see action was the 66th Artillery bde which was engaged at marne-Aisne, St.Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne.

A total of 263,395 US troops passed through the 41st to combat units.

Dave.

Excellent Dave, thanks! What is your reference, or is this general knowledge you picked up along the way. I read a reference to St Aignan Depot last night so it is good to hear you confirm it.

Another odd question - at least for European types maybe, would colored/black troops have been included in this unit, particularly at Company HQ? My guy was in the 162 Infantry and died on 12 Oct. Andy

I'm sure Dave wil correct me if wrong, but I believe his source is Shipley Thomas's The History of the AEF. Available through the Battery Press in Nashville. Well worth picking up, Andy.

Enjoy,

Nei

Edited to add: The 41st would have been an all-white outfit.

However, I do have a named Jersey service medal to an African American cook who served with the 153rd Depot Brigade in Camp Dix NJ which would have (technically) meant the 153rd was an integrated unit.

Edited to add: The 41st would have been an all-white outfit.

However, I do have a named Jersey service medal to an African American cook who served with the 153rd Depot Brigade in Camp Dix NJ which would have (technically) meant the 153rd was an integrated unit.

Actually this is my quandry.... they guy I am looking for might be black, which would initially indicate a contradiction, given it wasn't an integrated unit. However the record also shows he was specifically attached to Div HQ, which might mean he had 'special' duties. He's only a Private so I am trying to figure out if he falls into the 'cook'-like category such as your example or if he was a regular GI Joe.

Andy

I'm sure Dave wil correct me if wrong, but I believe his source is Shipley Thomas's The History of the AEF.

That's the one. ;)

I second what Neil says about it, Andy. It's an extremely worthwhile purchase.

Dave.