Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Royal Fusiliers

massie

I have a copy of the war diary of the 7th Royal Fusiliers from when they went to France in July 1916 to when they were demobilised in April 1919.

If you need a look up let me know. I have patchy internet access so it might take me a few days to answer.

Regards

Andrea

• 1 month later...

Andrea,

I'm interested in two casualties of the 7th RF who were both KIA, one in May and the other in Sept. 1918. Their names appear of a local war memorial and any information as to the circumstances of their deaths would be much appreciated. Their details from the CWGC are:

Name: JONES

Initials: V W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/09/1918

Service No: G/50437

Additional information: Son of Ernest Edward and Elizabeth Lucy Jones, of 3, Langdale Avenue, Mitcham, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 40.

Cemetery: PROVILLE BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: WALSH, JAMES

Initials: J

Date of Death: 26/05/1918

Service No: 77533

Additional information: Son of the late Robert and Catherine Walsh; husband of Mrs. M. A. C. Walsh, of 5, Seaton Rd., Mitcham, Surrey.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 20.

Cemetery: MESNIL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

With thanks,

Chris.

• 3 months later...

Hi Chris

Sorry to be so long away, I've been abroad and not logging on... hope you're still around.

21st -26th May 1918 things were so hectic the diary was written up afterwards. They relieved the 1st Artists Rifles, and on the night of 21/22 enemy bombers attacked, a counter attack was immediately launched, but (unamed) casulaities sustained. Various patrols reconnoitred enemy positions, then the enemy attempted to rush various outposts, and in response the enemy set up a barrage on the front line that resulted in 4 killed and 10 wounded. The Battalion was relieved the night of the 26/27th, leaving behind Lieut Woodward who was providing encouragment to 2 ORs buried by shellfire in an outpost. 1 survived but the other was not expected to survive. Unfortunately ORs aren't named.

There was an attack on the 27th Sept 1918. They crossed the Canal du Nord without much opposition, but the enemy 'showed signs of putting up a determined stand in front of the final objective - the spur runnning SW of Bourlon Wood but this was quickly overcome'. On the 28th they had some casualties from shell fire, all unamed.

Regards

Andrea

QUOTE (Chris_B @ Nov 12 2005, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andrea,

I'm interested in two casualties of the 7th RF who were both KIA, one in May and the other in Sept. 1918. Their names appear of a local war memorial and any information as to the circumstances of their deaths would be much appreciated. Their details from the CWGC are:

Name: JONES

Initials: V W

Date of Death: 29/09/1918

Service No: G/50437

Additional information: Son of Ernest Edward and Elizabeth Lucy Jones, of 3, Langdale Avenue, Mitcham, Surrey.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 40.

Cemetery: PROVILLE BRITISH CEMETERY

Name: WALSH, JAMES

Initials: J

Date of Death: 26/05/1918

Service No: 77533

Additional information: Son of the late Robert and Catherine Walsh; husband of Mrs. M. A. C. Walsh, of 5, Seaton Rd., Mitcham, Surrey.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 20.

Cemetery: MESNIL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

With thanks,

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm interested to know what was going on on April 18th, 1917. I have a great-uncle;

George James Roscoe

Private

7th Bn. Royal Fusiliers

DOD 18/04/1817

Service # 37502

Bay 3. Arras Memorial.

Many thanks.

Sim..

• 1 year later...
I have a copy of the war diary of the 7th Royal Fusiliers from when they went to France in July 1916 to when they were demobilised in April 1919.

If you need a look up let me know. I have patchy internet access so it might take me a few days to answer.

Regards

Andrea

Hello Andrea,

One of my relative was killed whilst serving in the 7th Royal Fuslilers and i would be very grateful if you could provide any information regarding the battalions actions on 27.05.1917. I understand that information provided for individual sevicemen is very rare but his name and details are below.

Private Samuel Charles Keen

7th Bn Royal Fusiliers

Number: 27277

KIA: 27.05.1917

many thanks

Les Keen

• 1 year later...

Hi all

I'm afraid I'm overseas at the moment and the diaries are back in the UK - sorry not to get back to you. I hope you've found the info elsewhere since!

Regards

Andrea

Hello Andrea,

One of my relative was killed whilst serving in the 7th Royal Fuslilers and i would be very grateful if you could provide any information regarding the battalions actions on 27.05.1917. I understand that information provided for individual sevicemen is very rare but his name and details are below.

Private Samuel Charles Keen

7th Bn Royal Fusiliers

Number: 27277

KIA: 27.05.1917

many thanks

Les Keen