Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guard landsturm?

joerookery

Here is another odd unit. I need some help with. Here we have a group of landsturm with Filz guard helmets and uniforms. Who are these guys? Why is there a guard landsturm unit? Help me Mr. Wizard! Maybe I'm looking for too much information these things.

ladnsturmgdfilz.jpg

ladnsturmgdfilzclose.jpg

Joe,

Just like all other army corps, the Guard Corps also had its Landsturm Battalions. And just like other Landsturm Battalions they had wore the badge of their state with a Landsturm cross on it on their pickelhauben.

Regards,

Jan

Jan,

Thanks! I went and looked it up and you're absolutely correct. I guess I sort of thought, because guard landwehr was not deployed nor gathered that the same would be done of landsturm. But thanks to you I looked at the relative reference, and there were 15 battalions! I have to recalibrate my thought pattern here. Thanks again, I guess I just needed to be slapped.

On another note, which head gear was worn -- -- I still have much to learn. The nice idea about landwehr crosses on issued pickelhauben just does not add up. I wrote a few paragraphs on it here:

http://www.coljs.com/articles/cross2.htm

I'm learning, give me a few more decades, and I'll get there!

Hello Joe,

Not all Landsturm units were equipped that way, some had to wear old shakos and caps.

I think they are well equipped because they are guards.

Regards,

Cnock

Thanks Cnok! It took me a while but I am now convinced that landsturm wore all sorts. Been working on Uberzug markings like this landsturm guy.

LxLandwehr34.jpg

Hello,

The wearing of pickelhauben had to do with the duties of the Landsturm unit, if it was guarding rear areas, they wore more a Tschako, if they were engaged at the frontline (three Landsturm battalions in a Landsturm regiment), they had pickelhauben and later steel helmets.

Regards,

Jan

Hello Jan,

What was first, the Pickelhaube or the duty/mission? (just kidding).

Are the weapons the Landsturm were carrying not a better indicator for their dutys, missions?

In this pic the Guards have Gewehr 98 rifles,

many rear Landwehr units had Mauser 1871/84 or Gewehr 88 rifles, and even revolvers Mod.79, and obsolete bayonets.

Regards,

Cnock.

Not necessarily, some frontline units on quiet fronts used Gewehr 88s (even on quite active fronts) or Beutewaffen.

Not necessarily, some frontline units on quiet fronts used Gewehr 88s (even on quite active fronts) or Beutewaffen.

A very good point.....for example, the regimental history of Magdeburgisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr 66 records that they were armed with Gewehr 98s until 1916 when they were replaced first by ex-Russian Mosin-Nagants and secondly by Gewehr 88/05s before another consignment of Gewehr 98s appeared.

Cheers

Paul.

Thanks for all your responses, and I'm not trying to be difficult, but I keep running into headgear problems.

A group of rear area folks in Belgium.

strawhat.jpg.

I have several like this where the leaders seem to be wearing a pickelhaube.

landsturmhats.jpg.

Perhaps I am tripping over mouse droppings. It just seems to be a very confused matter. I have been unable to place them firmly into a box such as duty requirements. The search continues, and you have all been so helpful. Thank you.

Hello,

It remains a difficult exercise, and I am still not convinced, about duty being the major indicator for headdress.

The example that Paul gives has nothing to do with Landsturm.

When I have more time, I'll try to look it up again.

In attachment, foto of Landsturm in Belgium in 1914.

Regards,

Cnock.

post-7723-1129653092.jpg