Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Norfolks

chrisharley9

Action at Crucifix Corner near Dranoute

Extract from war Diary

" Next day D and A companies were in front line, C in support and B in reserve Arrangements had been made for C to counter attack if necessary butit's losses owing to the continous heavy bombardment commencing at noon on the 15th necessitated B taking it's palce as the counter attack force. At 2.30pm on the 15th the enemy advanced and by 3pm had gained a foothold in the front trenches. Fromthese he was once again driven out by B company. Although B held the line and formed a defensive flank they were eventually themselves driven out due to their exposed poistion.

Line was then formed along the railway with the Ist Leicesters on their left at Clapham Junction. At 10.30pm they were moved back behind Mt Kemmel before being pulled out of line on the 18th.

This was after the 9th had been badly cut up a month before holding the masive German onslaught of the 2ist March. Here they had fought a strong reagaurad action before being moved out of line to for a refit in Sixte near Proven onthe 26th."

Have just done a full SDGW check on the battalion for this date. 2 officers & 108 ORs lost their lives in what was a nasty little action. Out the total of 110 lives lost only 4 have known graves!

The cemeteries that these 4 lads are buried in are

Pont de Nieppe Communal Cemetery - Pte Charles William Day - there is a discrepancy with this chap as SDGW has him KIA on the 15th whilst CWGC has him listed as dying on the 18th - Proably DOWs received on the 15th

Bedford House - Pte Arthur Eccles

Mon Noir Military Cemetery, St Jans Cappel - Pe Isaac Elijah Fincham

Lindenhoek Chalet Military Cemetery - Pte Robert Orford

The questions I have for the forum are

1. Did most of the unknowns end up being buried in Tyne Cot?

2. Are they still lying in a mass grave somewhere on the battlefield?

3. Are there any unknown Norfolks in any of the graveyards mentioned above?

4. This strikes me as one of the worst ratios of known burials to unknowns for a single action!

I look forward to any comments or information that anyone may be able to add

All The Best

Chris

The questions I have for the forum are

1. Did most of the unknowns end up being buried in Tyne Cot?

2. Are they still lying in a mass grave somewhere on the battlefield?

3. Are there any unknown Norfolks in any of the graveyards mentioned above?

4. This strikes me as one of the worst ratios of known burials to unknowns for a single action!

In answer...

1. Most likely not (though they are probably commemorated on the memorial there), unless they were originally buried in a cemetery that was cleared and moved to there.

2.Possible that some are, but I'd think that they are more than likely in "unknown" graves in various cemeteries. Some are probably still missing though.

3. I don't know about any specific "A Soldier of the Great War - Norfolk Regiment" graves in the cemeteries you mention, but some of the unknowns could possibly be Norfolks (especially seeing as all bar the Pont de Nieppe cemetery has post war additions from field graves and smaller cemeteries - though even the Pont de Nieppe was extended).

4. There were others. Any advance where ground was lost to the enemy resulted in a high ratio of knowns to unknowns (a few of the actions of 2nd ypres jump to my mind here).

Just my opinion...

Dave.

Dave

Many thanks - your opinion is greatly valued. I've just got to keep plugging away at this one as it has got right under my skin

All The Best

Chris

Any advance where ground was lost to the enemy resulted in a high ratio of knowns to unknowns (a few of the actions of 2nd ypres jump to my mind here).

I'll try that one again!!! :blink:

I meant to say "...a high ratio of unknowns to knowns". I think you knew what I meant though! :ph34r:

Dave.