Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pyrrhic Victory

paul guthrie

I have often wished for a good account of the French on the Somme 1916, this book which I got today has about a 50 page chapter, here's hoping! Published by Harvard, should be good, author taught history at West Point for 20 years.

Well pals I am only half way through but you need to read this. It's by DOughty a West Point history teacher for 20 years & it's so thorough. You will know a great deal more about French reasons for wanting more effort at Salonica, their thoughts about British performance, their 1915 offensives in Artois Champagne and St Mihiel Salient, the Somme etc. Much about the thinking pf politicians and generals. It's terrific, I think those really knowledgable about WW1 will learn a great deal from this.

What's their opinion of the Brits Paul? In precis form?

Des I think you can guess, it is amazing to read British French US accounts it's always the same thing.... withdrew w/o notice, not covering our flanks etc.

Up through 16 at least they thought they were much superior tactically... I agree to a degree though they were sent into so much useless slaughter 14 & 15 when casualties were actually higher than 16 despite Verdun!

You will agree with some of the contemporary criticism of British, will be interesting to see what they say about US! Here's a prediction, brave, untrained, badly led, tactically reckless and all is true.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the heads-up, always nice to see more in English on the French contribution.

It's going on my wish list.

Neil

Cheers Paul. Great how allies get the boot into each other when they can!! Human nature never changes.

Des

Not to surprisingly Des as I continue the British of course start to complain the French are not doing enough! Quite a book, best I have seen on the French role which taking the war as a whole we have to say was the primary Allied one.

I have now finished this. THere is most interesting information on the extent of the Foch Petain enmity, also Clemenceau's disdain of Pershing is even stronger than I realized!

Terrific book.