Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Booker Prize winners

PhilB

I must admit I steer clear of critically acclaimed books because in the past I have found them generally very hard going. Now, I am a two dimensional reader and only see the obvious. I don`t construct realms of irony, allegory etc. However, I may be missing something. Have you read any prize winning books and found them unputdownable? If so, which ones? Phil B

James Meek's 'The People's Act of Love' didn't win the Booker this year, but was heavily tipped to. It is utterly brilliant. Set in Siberia 1919, centrd on the Czech remant trapped there after the War and the Revolution - full of larger than life characters and events which only Russia could produce. A marvellous read.

Don't care if it didn't win!

Marina

Thomas Kenneally's 'Confederates' was short-listed for the Booker Prize.

Ignore the writing style of 'Schindler's Ark; Blood Red Sister Rose; Gossip from the Forest .... and to a certain extent 'The Playmaker'.

Confederates is IMHO the finest piece of modern literature on the American Civil War.

Buy it. Awesome.

I have read and enjoyed Confederates. Perhaps I should read more of the shortlisted books that didn`t win? Perhaps, in order to win, they need a literary sophistication that is beyond me? Grapes to pigs and all that! Phil B

Does anyone give any credence to The Booker Prize ? I`ve got the gut instinct that the judging panel are the same people who award funding to hopeless Brit Flicks like THE LIFE OF STUFF and RANCID ALUMINUIM , or those deeply intellectual people ( Their words not mine ) who consider a pile of bricks as art