Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA 109 AND 226 BATTERY

susanhemmings

Can anyone tell me anything about RGA 109 battery and/or RGA 226 battery.

When formed etc, when disbanded... one or other were from Woolwich.

perhaps someone may know which one (or both)...

many thanks.

Susan.

Susan,

Unluckily for you there is a 109th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. and a 109th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A., so which of these two do you require info on??

There appears to be no 226th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A., but there was a 226th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. formed at Weymouth on the 12th August 1916 and disbanded in 1919.

Couldn't tell you which actions it fought in, but by November 1918 226th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was serving as Army Troops with 10th(Mobile)Bde,R.G.A. with Second Army.

10th(Mobile)Bde,R.G.A. consisted of the following units;-

150th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

159th(Heavy)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pdr guns.

113th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

226th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

Other Forum members will be able to assist with details of actions.

Graham.

Graham, thank you for your kind response:

I have only taken this info from two MIC (only one of which is for my grandad) as follows:

John Church - RGA - Gunner regiment no: 29015

MEDAL ROLL PAGE

Victory: RGA/109B 881

British : " " "

SWB List: RGA/482

or

John W Church - Gunner - regiment no: 209622

MEDAL ROLL PAGE

Victory: RGA/226B 12704

British: " " "

The regiment number of the second chap seems more likely as

His name was actually John William

He joined up later (I believe) rather than sooner. I think I may have assumed the 109 and the 226 were batteries. perhaps not?

I know he lived in Woolwich at the time of enlistment.(but I suppose that does not make any difference - would men from Woolwich go to Weymouth - I know they did not have a choice during the latter part conscription etc. It seems he was "at home" in Aug 1916 as his wife became pregnant then - ?don't say it!!!!) No further kids till after end of war (1921 to be exact). The pair had had four all spaced out each 18 months or so by this time -

so perhaps the 226 seige is correct - it seems to tie in with all sorts of answers. THANK YOU.

anyway Graham. brilliant as ever.

ps:

I know I am totally ignorant (hopefully learning) but what was the difference between "heavy" and "siege" - I can almost hear you all shouting ....... in reply ........ and I am cringing ........

Susan.

Hi Susan,

The numbers you have quoted are the Medal Roll Folio & Page numbers. These are used at the NA to determine which Medal Roll you require. I.E. RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) Folio 109B Page 881.

These details will give a reference number that will begin WO329/????. The final four figures will be the Roll number.

This roll MAY provide unit details on your man but not always.

Can you vist the NA? If not, I'm sure a Pal will look them up for you.

Regards

PAUL J

Susan,

You're not the only one to make the mistake regarding the RGA medal book references, someone else did it on the Forum and again I assumed they knew what they wanted and wrote it all out. Something else which won't help you one iota is that dozens of batteries were formed at Woolwich, so without the correct battery number I'm stuck to give you an answer.

Graham.

Is it possible to get them online or do you have to visit.

I have managed to get WO 97/ records.online.

Will check out NA website.

From my many books tho' records are in "burnt" and "unburnt" section? If he joined later (rather than sooner) may still be something there I suppose, we can always live in hope......

Will have to go to NA I suppose at some point - probably on a Tuesday as I think this is one of their late evenings?

Thank you all for your responses. Thought it was too simple to be true.....

Hi , just logged onto your topic. RGA

I too have just realised from your topic that I was on the wrong trail for the last couple of years or more. My GF was in the RGA and I assumed that on his medal card that

T.F RGA 110 B was the battery he was in at end of the war.

It just proves what a great forum this is when help comes from out of the blue.

good luck with all your research. susanhemmings

Me , I shall study again my GF `s service sheets from kew of which there were 18 pages and no doubt all you experts out there could get more than I have from them as yet.

gunner ........still in the mire :blink:post-1028-1128899332.jpg

Yes, I agree - this is a fantastic site to get expertise help.

I have only just joined, but have honestly learnt more since last month than I have from all books I have dipped into

Hope all goes well with you research too.

Glad I asked the question in all ignorance. Going a shade of mustard now.... but still in the manure.

susan.

Gunner,

If you have GF's service sheets then you're quids in. I have my GGF's who served as a Territorial in the R.F.A.(T.F.) and they were a delight to read. I've noted that your M.I.C. is intialled T.F., so it looks like your GF was R.G.A.(T.F.). If you want I could try and read them for you to see if I can make some sense of them. About the only problem is how, unless you scan them and and file them, and then try and e.mail them to me and we can see what we come up with.

Graham.

Susan,

You will have to visit the NA to see the Medal Rolls. I am sure it would be worth the trip.

The "Burnt" & "Unburnt" records are the surviving Service Records of men who served in the Army. These are all on microfilm and it's pot-luck if your GF is there, I'm afraid as only 40% have survived.

You could dig up some treasure though, so it's worth a look.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

Gunner,

TF artillery was renumbered in 1917 (I believe the RGA was included). If you let us know what number he served under (should have 6 digits) it may be possible to identify the unit served with at the time.

"Unfortunately" for Susan, her numbers look like Regular Army numbers, so no conclusions can be drawn from them...

Steve.

Thank you Paul, Steve and Gunner for all help.

Always, gratefully received. (and given where I can). (maybe in about 10 years time!!))

If he was RGA TF the medal rolls should give his battery. The TF War Medal roll is a separate roll and nearly always shows the gunners battery and earlier serial number. You need to know his new 6 digit no. first

Sample attached

Stuart

post-6041-1128969751.jpg