Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme, 23rd, 24th and 25th october

uncle bill

I'll be staying at the Renshaw b and b, anybody else around these dates ?

looks like I'll be on my own at the tommy, and I was going to buy all the pals a drink !! :)

:blink: Heh, we will be there on Tuesday evening if you are still around, love a beer with you and a few tales!

Tony and Danny

yep, I'll be there. Look forward to it.

Uncle Bill,

I'm taking a small group around the front-line from the 24th-26th so I might see you around.

The 24th will be a travelling day.

The second day will incorporate Serre, Beaumont Hamel, the Newfoundland Memorial, The Ulster Tower, Thiepval and La Boiselle.

The second Day will incorporate Lochnagar, Fricourt, Mansell Copse, Carnoy and Montauban.

Steve

Now transformed into round of teas from the vending machine at the Thiepval visitors centre !! Hope to bump into you.

I never mentioned sugar he said , backpedalling furiously. I'll be driving up tomorrow, can't wait. I have the need.

Me too, am I to assume I am looking for a boxer dog when and if we meet at Thiepval? How do you stir your tea? :D

Steve

Yes the dog will be there, I look like him and he looks like me. How do I stir my tea ? With whatever's at hand , especially on a cold day. Where are you staying ?

LOL! :D

I'm actually staying in Arras as I always find it easier to book hotels there and the ones I use I happen to know the people etc.

I also like to use the time it takes to travel to the Somme to set the scene for my guests.

Steve

I've often stayed in Arras, wonderful place. I find it nice to return to civilization after tramping around the battlefields. Look forward to meeting you.

Uncle Bill,

I was at Thiepval fairly late on the 25th? Looked for a boxer dog and someone who looks like one?

Sorry if I missed you, we'll have to have that cup of tea some other time.

Steve

I was around the Butte de Warlencourt and intended to come but was otherwize engaged with the Gendarmerie. They decided that I was suspicious and drove up the track, asked me if the car further dowxn by the Butte was mine and wanted to have a look in it. Luckily I hadn't picked up anything and had a WFA sticker. The funny thing is I was checked out the same day at Rossignol Wood. I don't know why. Anyway the tea offer still stands, hope you had a good trip. Mine was somewhat ruined by hunters that as they came over the crest of a ridge made me shout ' zulus ', horizontal rain and the local lawkeepers.

It's weird, I didn't see one Gendarme all the time I was over there.

The tour went really well, we got soaked at Serre, but after that the weather cleared and the rest of the tour was in pretty good weather.

However, one of my group remarked that the rain was quite apt as I read some accounts from the Accrington Pals whilst at Serre. Another remarked that it was as thought the world was weeping for their loss, so the rain was quite well received.

I'm out there next year so I'll keep an eye out.

Steve

well I was weeping for my loss, maps and books in backpack, soaked !!