Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French as CinC

PhilB

I`ve just started reading Haig`s Diaries. In the first pages he makes scathing criticism of French as CinC, though proferring loyal service to him. Assuming that Haig was not alone in his low opinion of French, and that he had the ear of the establishment, where did French`s support come from? Who considered him a better bet than Haig? Phil B

After the Curragh Incident where as CIGS French was 'forced' to resign for his part in it. A part that was not necesserily bad and he did in my opinion what he thought was best for the army and ironically what his bosses, the government, ordered him to do.

Regardless he was still regarded highly by many and though put out to grass I seem to recall that the Government and especially Asquith still considered him one of the best commanders!

Unfortunately they were wrong.

regards

Arm

• 5 months later...

Perhaps it was his reputation from the Boer war and the undocumented respect he earned from those in power post Curragh. Andy

There was never any debate whether he was a better bet than Haig at this point. His seniority alone saw to that. French was already a Field Marshal, Haig a Lieut-General.