Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding correct WO329 Record from MIC

tombowcock

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure that this is just stupidity on my part, but I am trying to find exactly which WO329 record I need to find my wifes Grandfathers actual Medal Roll.

I know from the MIC that he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. There is no indication of a 1914/15 Star so he must ahve gone overseas after 1/1/16.

However his roll indicates after the Victory Medal in brackets is (TF). I assume that thsi must mean that he was part of the Territorial Force ?

The reference is then 110B pge 1003. If I do a look up of the PRO Catalogue I can find the BWM records other ranks for the RGA and even RGA (TF). However these run into several volumes ie WO315-321 in the case of the RGA (TF). What I need to know is How do I know which volume that I need ? There is no indication of a reference 110B or any page ranges quoted on the catalogue detail.

Is there a black art to this or am I being particularly dense today ?

Many Thanks

James

It is a bit of a Black Art.

You need to be down at the NA. In the Microfilm Room on the big table are two folders one blue, one white. You use these to convert the references into a WO number which you order on the computers and pick up in the Reading Room.

I don't think anyone can do the conversions in their head!

Steve.

Thanks Chaps,

Just thought that I was being a bit thick today...so glad to see that there is more too it than meets the eye.

Obviously this begs the question - If I can't get to the NA and I want to get them to photocopy the appropriate page. How do I tell them what the reference is without having to pay several thousand pounds (on current NA charging rate) for the entire catalogue ??

Thanks anyway for the answer

PS could the NA's charges be classed as indirect taxation ? - :-)

As it goes Tom, its relatively straightforward when your at the big white table with the folders in front of you, plus theres a little "how to" piece of paper that takes u through it step by step. Then you order them & wander off to the reading rooms (via a 30 minute coffee break) to collect & read/copy/photo them.

Several hours later you realise that youve got so distracted and havent gotten to the page you were initially interested in & theyre trying to close & throw u out :rolleyes: . Other than that, its actually quite straightforward when you physically see it!

If you cant go, enough of us plod up there regularly, so post away. Will be there in next couple of week myself - if you get no joy in that time, mail me ...

James,

Your in luck, the NA allowed me to copy a few sheets from their black art book. the WO you are looking for is is WO329/263.

It covers pages 910 to 1212 and 110B - 112B, hope this helps.

Andy

Not sure if the NA would approve, but here is the relevant page from the book of black art

post-1871-1128937734.jpg

Ali Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! :o, just illustrating the black art book.

Andy

I know of several organisations that have been allowed to copy the black art book completely, so sure showing one page will not upset them too much.

Andy

I know of several organisations that have been allowed to copy the black art book completely, so sure showing one page will not upset them too much.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much indeed for incurring the wrath of the PRO - why they dont make it publicly available is beyond me !

Perhaps people might know what they are ordering in advance if it were available. Ahh think I've just seen the flaw in the grand plan. They dont want you to know what you are doing and order in advance :-)

So once again thanks to all the Pals for your information.

Best Wishes

James

The page above also covers my grandfather's entry for his Victory and BWM.

Thanks for that time saver.

Nigel

Nigel

Nigel

Tom,

You are welcome and Nigel, glad that it seved you some time.

Andy