Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private George Cassie, Gordon Highlanders 1st/7th

Guest balnacoul

Guest balnacoul

Hi everyone, the knowledge and expertise on the site is amazing and having seen the help given to others I,m hoping you can help.

From a recent family funeral, I got the information that my grandfather had a half brother, who according to the story was working in a field near Skene, Aberdeenshire when a recruiting party passed by, he took the "kings shilling" and went off to war but never made it back.

What I have gleaned so far Private George Cassie 292156, was in the Gordon Highlanders 1st/7th Bn, is listed in cwgc as commonwealth war dead in Skene parish churchyard.

His death certificate is almost impossible to read, but the parts I have managed to decipher indicate that he suffered gunshot wounds to the chest, but survived for 4 days before dying.

Unfortunately as a total novice having no knowledge of army structures, I am finding it extremely difficult to work out exactly where he was and when? where is he buried?

The only thing I am certain of is that every answer brings more questions, so any help would be very much appreciated.

From SDGW,

Private George Cassie 7th battalion Gordon Highlanders.

Died of wounds-home on August 13th 1918.

Born=Skene.

Enlisted=Echt, Aberdeenshire.

Bob.

Surname CASSIE

Firstname George

Service number 292156

Date of death 13/08/1918

Decoration

Place of birth Skene Aberdeenshire

Other 7th Bn.

SNWM roll THE GORDON HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death Home.

Name: CASSIE, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/08/1918

Service No: 292156

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Near right-hand corner.

Cemetery: SKENE PARISH CHURCHYARD

He is buried in Skene with four other soldiers, three Gordons and a Scots Guard.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest balnacoul

Thanks gents

another few pieces of the jigsaw added, from which am now assuming, having been wounded he was then shipped back to a military hospital, as his death is registered in the parish of Ecclesmahan, Linlithgow.

Medal Index Card lists two numbers

2510 Pte Gdn Hldrs

292156 Pte Gdn Hldrs

The 1/7 Bn Gdn Hldrs was a Territorial Force Bn. On 1.3.1917 the system of numbering in the TF was changed and all other ranks got a six digit number to replace the old. These were allotted in sequences to Bns - 1/7 Gdns number range was 290001 - 315000

A man's service details are shown on the MIC only if he qualified for a medal. i.e. A soldier's service in the UK would not count towards a medal (unless he was awarded a gallantry medal whilst there) so is not on the MIC. As your g-uncle's MIC shows both the old and the new numbers it is likely that he was in France before March 1917 and then subsequently with the 1/7 Bn.

This battalion was in 51 (Highland) Div and saw heavy fighting during battle of Arras in April that year. My own G-uncle, Angus Laing was KIA 23.4.1917 with 1/7 Bn Gdns.

From 18 July to 7 Aug the 51 HD took part in the Second Battle of the Marne, attacking south west of Reims. During July the Bn suffered a total of 272 Killed, wounded and missing. The Division became involved in the Arras offensive in late August, so if Pte Cassie was wounded around 11 Aug it seems that this was not during a big action.

I am no expert on these matters, but hope that helps you along. Good luck.

Guest balnacoul

Many thanks for your help. I am just beginning to see why this is such a large forum and as I said at the start, each answer creates more questions, so off back to the search button

regards Bill