Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

any copies of war diaries for 2nd bat east lancs

delph105

Does anyone have any war diaries or battalion war diaries for the 2nd battalion east lancashire regiment in ww1. I am researching my great grandfather Anthony Gaskarth who joined in nov 1914 and was in france in first week of dec 1914 surviving the war. i understand fron family legend he was promoted to sergeant and then demoted to private 3 times during the war as although quite courageous he did like his drink.this must be noted in dispatches somewhere? I know he saw fierce fighting at villers brettoneux and in all the major battles of ww1 with the 8th division. Does anyone else know where i could get a copy of volume 1 of the history of the east lancashire regiment 1914-1918 by Nicholson as i have volume 2 but have been unable to find a contact telephone number for D P and G Military publishers in Doncaster. Does anyone know if they are still around?

any help gratefully received.

Delphi

Does anyone have any war diaries or battalion war diaries for the 2nd battalion east lancashire regiment in ww1. I am researching my great grandfather Anthony Gaskarth who joined in nov 1914 and was in france in first week of dec 1914 surviving the war. i understand fron family legend he was promoted to sergeant and then demoted to private 3 times during the war as although quite courageous he did like his drink.this must be noted in dispatches somewhere? I know he saw fierce fighting at villers brettoneux and in all the major battles of ww1 with the 8th division. Does anyone else know where i could get a copy of volume 1 of the history of the east lancashire regiment 1914-1918 by Nicholson as i have volume 2 but have been unable to find a contact telephone number for D P and G Military publishers in Doncaster. Does anyone know if they are still around?

any help gratefully received.

Delphi

You might struggle to get Vol.1 on it's own as it's only sold in a 2 volume set (and the original was published in a single volume format anyway). Try the RHQ at Fulwood Barracks in Preston. They're the ones who got it re-printed in 2002. (or, if you must, try also the N&MP - they also sell it).

Dave.

(P.S. none of the 2nd Bn diaries that I have mention your Gt.Grandad, nor does the 2nd battalion history - though there is a particularly good write up on the fighting at V.B.!)

You might struggle to get Vol.1 on it's own as it's only sold in a 2 volume set (and the original was published in a single volume format anyway).  Try the RHQ at Fulwood Barracks in Preston. They're the ones who got it re-printed in 2002. (or, if you must, try also the N&MP - they also sell it).

Dave.

(P.S. none of the 2nd Bn diaries that I have mention your Gt.Grandad, nor does the 2nd battalion history - though there is a particularly good write up on the fighting at V.B.!)

Hi thanks for your help, do you have any of the battalion diaries that i can have or copy/print off for the 2nd battalion east lancs in WW1 also is the N&MP the naval and military press or somebody else i have tried the naval and military press but they dont have this title.Will try preston on monday. got caught out bought the volume 2 through amazon and this was showing as complete history when it came only vol 2 came so coutts say they will take it back as they dont have vol1 (they have amended the listing now) and i guess ill have to do this and try to get the whole set again, pain! thanks for your look up though and help regards delphi

i have tried the naval and military press but they dont have this title.

You're quite correct there. (I've also had a look and was amazed to see it not listed anymore). I've a horrible feeling that it might be out of print as I didn't see it a Fulwood last time I was there (although I wasn't specifically looking for it to be honest). If you can, Fulwood is the best place to obtain it as a percentage of all sales go towards the upkeep of one of the best regimental archives in the country.

Dave.

do you have any of the battalion diaries that i can have or copy/print off for the 2nd battalion east lancs in WW1

I do have some of the bn diaries (covering some of the months of 1915,16 and 17) amongst a pile of other info about the 2/ELR, but it'd be impossible for me to supply you with all I have as it would take approx.250 - 300 scans to cover it. I could send you some of it, though. Any particular time period you're interested in for them ? (and don't say "1914-18" !!!! :P ).

I don't know where you're located, but you can find the diaries at the National Archives at Kew (not online though) and also at Fulwood.

Dave.

You're quite correct there. (I've also had a look and was amazed to see it not listed anymore). I've a horrible feeling that it might be out of print as I didn't see it a Fulwood last time I was there (although I wasn't specifically looking for it to be honest). If you can, Fulwood is the best place to obtain it as a percentage of all sales go towards the upkeep of one of the best regimental archives in the country.

Dave.

Hi thanks for the tip have now sent off my £26 and they apparently do have both copies and they can be bought individually so have ordered volume one to complete my set!

Thanks again Delphi

I do have some of the bn diaries (covering some of the months of 1915,16 and 17) amongst a pile of other info about the 2/ELR, but it'd be impossible for me to supply you with all I have as it would take approx.250 - 300 scans to cover it. I could send you some of it, though. Any particular time period you're interested in for them ? (and don't say "1914-18" !!!! :P ).

I don't know where you're located, but you can find the diaries at the National Archives at Kew (not online though) and also at Fulwood.

Dave.

hi would be interested in anything you have on 2nd battalion east lancashire regiment. Am unfortunately no where near kew in Dorset and with five children and an imminent move to Invercargill in New Zealand cant get. however would be only to happy if you are? to pay for photocopies of anything you have, as dont know what period i am looking for. Have found out from the wider family that Anthony Gaskarths best friend during the war and well into their eighties was George Fielding who joined at the age of 16 and great Grandad took under his wing (as he had previously joined up and had some military experience before being bought out by his father Thomas Septimus Gaskarth). George Fielding won the DSM and MM during WW1 I am told. My address is 2 Welland Court Poundbury Dorchester Dorset Dt1 3GZ and telephone number 01305 261674 if you can let me know ( if you are happy to?) I can send you a cheque to cover any costs on your part if you let me know how much and where to send it.

thankyou very much for your time and effort on my behalf it is much appreciated.

Regards Delphi

. My address is ... Dorchester Dorset

You actually live nearer to Kew than I do, Delphi !!! :lol:

It'd take me an absolute age to scan/copy what I have to be honest. Money's not the thing here, it's time - something I, also , don't have a great deal of these days. That's why I'd require you to be more specific (and the 2/ELR War diary for 1914-18 is absolutely huge!)

I'm in the process of scanning onto a CD all my war Diaries, amongst other things. When I get round to the 2/ELR , I'll add on some of the other things and send you a copy if you wish. Might be a while yet though.

Dave.

they can be bought individually so have ordered volume one to complete my set!

...in the meantime, you'll get quite a decent coverage of the 2/ELR's activities for the whole war in that volume. There's about 100 pages devoted to them in there.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

Hi I know this is an old thread !!! The reason is that my daughter has just returned from Flanders. While at Tyne Cot they were asked to pick a grave or name to lay a wooded cross of remembernce. She picked 2nd Lt Edwin Charles Irish 2nd Btn East Lancashire his date of death given by CWGC is 26 Dec 1917. Could you please send me the diary covering that period. She would like to know how he died and what has happening around that time. Thanks P.M. me and I will give you my address.