Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

121 Heavy BATTERY RGA

Guest George35

hi

i am after info for my father in law about BENJARMIN MASSEY.

i have found a medel card witch may be him

name: massy benjarmin j corps: R.G.A rank: GNr regti no: 97598

roll: RGA/154 b page: 5407

i have a pic of him and some other men holding up a bourd witch reads

the old firm 121 H.B.R.G.A. on the rhine 1919 Q.M.S & staff

the & may be a 9 or a star bit hard to tell

any help would be gratfull

thanks

paul

Would it be possible to see a copy of this photograph please as I believe my Grandfather may be on it.

I have only just found out that he was at Enderlich, Bonn in 1919 with 121 HBRGA.

I have been trying for years to find where he served during W W 1 and this is the first positive clue I have had.

Many thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've recent come across a service record mentioned 121 S Battery RGA. Am I right in thinking that no two batteries, even of different types, would have the same numerical designation? I'm presuming it's a mistake on the part of whoever wrote it given that the soldier was transferring from a siege battery.

Most of the heavy batteries had an identical numerical siege battery. Viz there was a 121st Heavy Battery and a 121st Siege Battery. If he had been serving with a siege battery then it was most likely 121st Siege Battery he transferred to.

Kevin

• 2 years later...

Forum members

Can anyone help with the name or names of the Major(s) in charge of the 121st Heavy Battery R.G.A. from 1915 to 1918, at home, Belgium and France. The diaries I have looked at have been very useful, but only refer to him as "the Major".

The Army lists on line have driven me ****. Probably my ageing computer.

If I can find a name I am hoping it will lead to further service records, documents and information that will expand on the early life of this battery from Woolwich to the Rhine.

Thank you.

Mike

On 14/09/2012 at 18:53, whelan190 said:

sorry its not a grate scan i keep maning to get the orginal and scan it my self

b j massey.jpg

whelan190

Thanks for posting this splendid photograph. Is there is there any chance that you know their names. A Richard Shrive was in the 121 Heavy Battery from 1914 to June 1915 and would have know them. I am researching his life in the R.G.A.. The men are perhaps celebrating their forth coming "demob". 

Thank you

Mike