Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haslar Hospital Deaths

spingo

I know this post is just pre WW1 but I have just downloaded a PRO Seaman's Service Record for K6034 Joseph Spragg, enlisted April 1910, died Haslar Hospital June 1914. I was surprised that no information about next of kin and burial (pre WW1, so not on CWGC site) was included in the record, as I have the service record of John Spragg, enlisted in 1897 in the RMLI on which they are included! Any advice about where to look for next of kin and burial information from forum members would be appreciated. From a previous post on this forum from Sandra, Joseph also served on HMS Dido, in 1914.

Spingo

Spingo

I think perhaps you were lucky getting the information the first time! Anyway, bearing in mind that his service record gives him as having been born in Wellington, Shropshire, the next of kin information is not difficult.

The 1901 census shows that Joseph, aged 10, and his brother Thomas, 12, were 'boarders' in Wrockwardine, Shropshire, with Sarah Brown, a widow and charwoman - I guess this suggests that they might have been orphaned by this time. Going back to the 1891 census, the brothers are then at home in Ercall Magna, Shropshire with their parents, Joseph and Sarah Spragg. I think that both Wrockwardine and Ercall Magna are near to Wellington. I'll gladly send the census images if you let me have an email address off-list.

I think the burial information might be more difficult - it can be really hard to pinpoint burial information, and it's not something that appears on death certificates. Presumably he would either have been taken 'home' for burial, wherever that might have been at the time, or else buried at the Royal Naval Cemetery at Alverstoke - just down the road from the hospital. If his parents were dead, perhaps more likely that he was buried near the hospital.

I've no idea who holds the burial registers of the Royal Naval cemetery, but someone must know! Perhaps they've been indexed by a local family history society or similar.

Sue

Spingo

I have a colleague who works at Haslar. I will ask him to see what he can find out for you.

Dave

Spingo

My colleague provded the follwing info:

Stoker Joseph SPRAGG of HMS Victory, died Haslar 26/6/1914. Buried Plot E, Row 21, Grave 3. Haslar Naval Cemetery, Clayhall Road.

Clayhall Cemetery is, open during daylight hours. There are a set of records in a small box in the entrance porch to the chapel.

The Sexton, Mr Derek Shilling, is usually around and about as he has been for the last 30 years and is willing to assist with locating a grave etc

Dave

The grave in the foreground is a local man [local to me, that is!], and his grave is in row 23, so very near Joseph Spragg.

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks SueL and Hertiage, superb job, and pictures to. And yes you have the correct Joseph in Admaston. Sorry for not replying earlier--hard-drive failure!!!

Warmest regards to you both,

Spingo :D

Quite by chance, visited the cemetery last saturday (got lost on way home from Submarine Museum). Odd place - looks like it was intended for far more dead than it has, if you see what I mean. If you want a piccie, Spingo, I can try and pop over one weekend, though it won't be too soon.

I happen to be in the UK at the moment and being at a loose end today, visited Haslar Naval Cemetery.

Joseph Spragg's headstone was easy to find but the name plaque has been removed for renovation. It seems as if the majority of headstones in rows 21 upwards have had new name plaques fitted and rows 1 - 20 are awaiting renovation. I post the photo anyway.

Spingo - contact me off forum and I will email the photos I have.

As a footnote there is also PO/9227 Corporal J Spragg RMLI died 2 October 1914 Aged 36 buried in the same plot and row, Grave 15.

post-119-1131455978.jpg

Many thanks Steven and Mark for the info and pictures. I'm in the middle of reseaching my great uncle, J Spragg, who I believe is the one buried in Haslar, but still have work to confirm it. Pity about the inscripton though. I have both service records of the two men mentioned, the only information on him was an heirloom, handed down to me of is his 'Ditty box' with the inscripton on a brass plate of J. SPRAGG, unfortunately no service number!

Kind regards

Spingo

• 3 months later...

Dave,

could your colleague find details of:

PERCIVAL, William Henry, Official Number: 276700

Died 5th December 1905 at Haslar Military Hospital.

Born 2nd May 1871, Rowsley, Derbyshire.

Thanks,

Kath.

Kath

PERCIVAL, William Henry. Stoker

Buried Royal Naval Cemetry Clayhill Road Gosport

Died 25/9/1905 Plot E Row 7 Grave 12

Regards

John