Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bully Beef Tins

jhill

<tongue in cheek mode on>

I am sure I am not alone in my fondness for the traditional bully beef tin, not least because this is one of the few everyday consumer items we have which has a direct link to the armies of 1914-1918.

In this regard I must (gently) upbraid our UK members for not bringing to our attention the debate in the House of Lords this past May on this subject. It seems there is an historical arguement here which should have been aired.

The link is here : http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-...0506-02_spnew15

Contrary to what some others contend, I believe we are getting excellent value from these upper houses of parliament.

<tongue in cheek mode off>

blimey, have just fallen asleep reading it

send them up the line!

Arm.

An interesting site can be found on the subject by clicking on here. Rations of the Age of Empire.

I must say I have to agree with the noble Lords. Opening a tin of corned beef can be a real pain and I am glad they brought the subject up. Ever had a key break on you half way round the tin? It requires a great deal of ingenuity to get the top off I can tell you.

Terry Reeves

And by the time they had picked them up at the roadside on the retreat from Mons and got them open they'd turned to a pink mush.

Bob.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interesting stuff. Problem is I don't think many WW1 soldiers had accidents using a key to open the tins - what do you think a bayonet was for! :lol:

Ian

As a slight but interesting deviation - My Junior school headmaster (Mr JJ Nicholson) used to tell us stories regarding his father's service in the Great War - (One of the reasons I became interested in the subject) - Of course us children being only 10 or 11 yrs old at the time he had to keep his stories shall we say sanitised. The one I remember best is about his father having a terrible aversion to Bully beef after the war having had to eat it for 3 years almost constently. So bad was his dislike for it that he even banned his wife from having it in the house.

Will

Interesting stuff. Problem is I don't think many WW1 soldiers had accidents using a key to open the tins - what do you think a bayonet was for! :lol:

Ian

In your case - SIW

Hee Hee

JB :D

Talking of bully beef tins, I'm sure I read in someone's memoirs that tons of the stuff was used to re-surface a road that had become waterlogged during wet conditions (or possibly it was a trench). It was quite a few years ago I read this but in which book I cant remember.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian

In your case - SIW

Hee Hee

JB :D

JB,

:lol:

'Honest Sgt I was holding the tin between me toes' :lol:

Ian