Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Does Everyone Look For...

Ciaran Byrne

I have a few questions for you all on regimental histories.

1) What does everyone look for in a Great War regimental history?

2) Do you prefer the type written during the 1920s by officers of the regiment or do you prefer the ones written later by authors not connected with the regiment but who have done extensive research?

3) What about Photographs. Do these figure heavily in what you look for or are you more concerned with the written content?

4) What is the best regimental history you have read?

Hi Ciarain. I'll go first, then!

1. Information, really. That sounds a bit evasive, but to be honest, if I can afford it, I'll buy it! My preference is TF Battalions, and battalion histories generally as oposed to regimental ones, which tend to be rather braod-brush. I do like good appendices - Awards, Rolls of Honour, that sort of stuff.

2. I like the 'original' ones, mostly because they tend to be written by people with a real 'feel', though, honestly some of the recent ones are excellent.

3. Not too fussed about pictures. Nice, but often they're just IWM ones re-heated. As I said, I like detailed appendices, so if the choice was pictures or info, give me info. And maps, please.

4. I've never written one ( ;) ), but if you mean 'read', I like my 9th London (Queen Victoria's Rifles), which is TF, London-based, and has all the stuff I mention above. And I got a copy with uncut pages, which makes me feel I'm the first person to really cherish it!

Cheers

Steve, in the study, with the Granny Smith's and the QVR History.

4) What is the best regimental history you have written?

I've only written a Battalion history for the 17th Manchesters in the guise of writing grandad's story ("published" on Hellfire Corner). Packed with research from various sources (including previously unpublished eye-witness accounts of 1/7/16). No pictures, though. ;)

More seriously though, I enjoy reading most histories written just after the war. But there's an edge to the more recent books (such as the various ones in the "Pals" series, etc), is that the draw more on the accounts of the other ranks and, often, put matters into a social context. The most enjoyable read I've had in awhile is our own Bernard Lewis' "Swansea Pals". Top act of its genre, IMO.

John

I like the History of the 1st 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment 1914 - 1919 by Captain P G Bales.

Written in 1920 by the Adjutant (he joined them 21-9-1916), I like the detail, and because the local Huddersfield territorials were in the same brigade as this battalion, the itinerary in the back is extremely useful to me.

300 pages written by a man who was there, lots of simple understandable maps, and appendix after appendix including one on the battalion canteen. I never knew they had such things.

It seems he had access to returning prisoners who could help to fill in some details that had been a bit of a mystery during the war. Obviously we could not write a book like this today, the men that he interviewed are no longer around, but if it were possible it would be great to have one for every battalion. Or I am just being greedy?

Tony.

I have the downloaded version of the 7th Royal Sussex but bought the History of the 7th (Service) Battalion, they both compliment each other with the book going into greater detail and written just after the war.

I would have liked more maps in the book but you can't have everything, can you?

Mandy

I have to say, I was sent the history of the 14th Hussars by mistake and was going to send it back until I read it. It is perhaps the most detailed history I have read so far of any regiment during the Great War.

Also, What sort of style do you prefer them written. By date with each days events written up or like the latter day histories with the less important days left out ?