Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sec.Lt. Robert CADZOW

Derek Robertson

Has anyone provide me with any information on Sec.Lt Robert Cadzow, R.F.C who is listed in SDGW as being killed on 22/1/18?

He is buried in Carnwath New Cemetery in Lanarkshire, Scotland, which would lead me to suspect that he was killed during training?

Also, with such a unique surname, can anyone claim to have Robert listed on their local war memorial so that I can find out about his family etc?

Robert Cadzow CWGC entry

Derek,

As he is listed as General list he was probably under training.

Surname CADZOW

Firstname Robert

Service number

Date of death 22/01/1918

Decoration

Place of birth

Other (69 Sqd.) (Gen. List).

SNWM roll ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Rank 2/Lt

Theatre of death Unknown

Aye

Malcolm

69 squadron went to France in 1917 as Corps Reconnaisance unit and was redesignated as 3 Sq Australian Flying Corps on 19/1/18. Puzzling that he was killed attached to 69 Sq if he was still in training? I assumed he wouldn`t be attached to a live squadron until he was qualified. Phil B

Pete,

I'm also puzzled that he was attached to 69 Sq if he was still in training.

Malcolm,

Have you ever visited Carnwath Cemetery?

Was there a WW1 airfield near there?

Derek,

Carnwath is an unusual place and I know where the cemetery is. There is no airfield or remains of same near there. The State Mental Hospital at Carstairs is the only thing of note nearby and there is no flat ground near it for miles.

If you want I will be passing that way some time and can get a photo.

Aye

Malcolm

The State Mental Hospital at Carstairs is the only thing of note nearby

:blink: I've passed through there (once)

Thanks Malcolm for any pic you could give me. I've trawled Google but I can't get an angle on the place or Cadzow.

I would suspect that the Cadzow surname (Polish?) was quite unique in Scotland around the Great War time, it was only later, in WW2 that the Poles came to Scotland in some number.

(Mind you, 12th century Cadzow Castle lies in South Lanarkshire)

Derek,

Could have been ' at home ' as there are three Cadzows on the SNWM and CWGC and one is below.

Surname CADZOW

Firstname John

Service number 202517

Date of death 08/09/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Barony Lanarkshire

Other 1/7th Bn.

SNWM roll THE ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Interestingly enough, John's parents did not list any of their details with the forerunners of the CWGC either:

John Cadzow's CWGC details

Derek

2Lt R Cadzow, of No 69 Training Squadron RFC, died on 22 January 1918 from injuries received in an accident when he was flying BE 2c 4523 on 19 January.

No 69 Training Squadron and No 69 Squadron (which, by coincidence, became No 3 Sqn, Australian Flying Corps, on 19 January 1918 - the day of 2Lt Cadzow's accident) were totally separate units. The RFC's policy of having training and active units sharing numbers caused considerable confusion at the time, and subsequently. Later in 1918 most of the Training Squadrons were absorbed into Training Depot Stations.

I hope this helps

Gareth

Gareth,

Superb - thank you very much indeed. :D

Have you any record of where No 69 Training Squadron was based at the time of Robert's accident?

Derek

There's not much around on the RFC's Training Squadrons, most of which were absorbed into Training Depot Stations in mid-1918. No 69 Training Squadron was based at Narborough, together with No 26 Training Squadron. The airfield was later taken over by the Independent Force, RAF.

I hope this helps

Gareth

Gareth,

Thank you once again. :)