Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Lt.Col.'s of the Canadian Infantry

Regulus 1

Hi,

These are the next two officers on which I'm trying to find more inofrmation :

Lt.col. W.F.R. Hart McHarg of the 7th Batt. Can. Inf. who died at the age 46 on the 24th april 1915 and who was the only son of Major W. Hart McHarg of the Essex Regt and Lt.col. R.L. Boyle of the 10th Batt. Can. Inf. (Alberta Rgt.) who died on the 23rd april 1915.

Thanks and best from Johan :huh:

Dan Dancock's 'Gallant Canadians' has quite a lot on Boyle; it is a history of the 10th Bn published in the 80s/90s. There is a full page photo of him in there, as well.

From memory obituaries of both officers also appear in 'The Roll of Honour' by De Revigny, now reprinted by Naval & Military Press.

I am presuming you are based in Flanders? If so, the Document centre in Ieper might have both of these?

The De Ruvigny entry for Hart-McHarg can be found in Norm Christie's book, "The Canadians at Ypres"

Gentlemen thank you so very much for your help ! I just looked into Norm Christie's book, and yes ! Bingo !

B)

Paul,

I wish I could spent more time to do such research for this book, but unfortunately it is not possible. The reason is simple :

I'm mentioning all the WW I cemetaries in West-Flanders : Belgian, French, Commonwealth, US, German plus a number of Russians, Italians, Austrians,...

I'm mentioning all VC citations, all the PlM citations, all the Airmen + unit (imagine the work on a German cemetary, this has never been done before !) all the Navy men + unit (all nations !) a number of DSO recepiants, the highest ranking officers in every cemetary, all the female burrials (I have over 20), and a number of stories of the simple soldiers will also be included. In try to tell something on all of these men if possible... Something on their unit, in which circumstances they died,...

Just as with the CWGC I'm trying to tell something on the cemetary, when it was started, how this comes, something on the battles at that location.

As you probably will understand I can not tell large stories, but interesting smaller pieces only. And the story on the French soldiers is disaster...

Next year I will publish the pre-study, the final version, well, I still have some work to do ! :huh:

Thanks again and best from Johan :)

Paul,

Thanks ! It will be available in english only. As this is not my mother tongue I did get some help on the matter by two British WW I authors that I have good contacts with and who put me on the right trail. I hope that one of them is going to review it afterwards also on the grammatical side. <_<

Best from Johan