Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suez Canal

GJB

Anybody have any info on the action the artillery were involved in at the Suez in early 1916.

I'm especially interested in the 14th Siege Battery RGA. I think they originally arrived as part of 4th HAG and then became part of the 24th HA Brigade before shipping out to the WF on the 8th April.

Gary

There is a thread to the 14th but mostly Gallipoli, i think it will give you a good idea who to get in touch with.

here is one of the posts:

14 Siege Battery, armed with four 6" Howitzers, joined the 29th Divisional Artillery on 10 Mar 15. The battery, commanded by Major L. S. Bayley, embarked with the 29th DA at Avonmouth between 15-21 Mar 15 and reached Alexandria, after an uneventful voyage on 29 Mar to 2 Apr 15. The battery, along with 90th Heavy Battery, RGA did not accompany the 29th DA to Gallipoli on 26 Apr 15 but rather, one section of each of those two batteries landed at Cape Helles early on the morning of 30 Apr. The remainder of the battery had landed by 2 May 15.

The battery took part in the Achi Baba Attack of 6 May 15 as part of Group IV and was with the same group for the attack of 28 June when it expended 45 rounds of Common Shell and 371 rounds of H. E.

On 23 Aug 15 the artillery at Cape Helles was reorganized and the 14 Sg Bty was made part of the Howitzer Group.

On 18 Dec 15 the Howitzer Group was abolished and the units, including 14 Sg Bty, were transferred as the Howitzer Section to the Left Group of the 29th DA.

The battery was withdrawn and evacuated from Cape Helles on the nights of 31 Dec 15 (2 guns) and 1 Jan 15 (2 guns).

The Battery moved to Egypt in early Jan 16 and served with the Suez Canal Defences until 28 Mar 16 when it joined the 24th Heavy Artillery Brigade (HAB), RGA.

14 Sg Bty, RGA moved to the Western Front with 24th HAB on 8 Apr 16, arriving on 15 Apr 16. It transferred to 16th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) on 9 May 16; to 36 HAG on 5 Jul 16; to 70 HAG on 8 Jan 17; to 6 HAG on 15 Apr 17; to 64th HAG on 14 May 17; and to 89 HAG on 6 Oct 17. On 20 Oct 17 it transferred to 79th HAG and remained with it until the end of the war.

If you give me the name of your man I will check to see if he was wounded or mentioned during the time that the battery served in the 29th DA.

GJB wrote:

Thanks, but I have a lot of this early info on Gallipolib but have a bit of a gap at the Suez and 1916 &17 on the WF.

If you look closely at the previously posted reply (that I originally wrote) indicates that: "The Battery moved to Egypt in early Jan 16 and served with the Suez Canal Defences until 28 Mar 16 when it joined the 24th Heavy Artillery Brigade (HAB), RGA. 14 Sg Bty, RGA moved to the Western Front with 24th HAB on 8 Apr 16, arriving on 15 Apr 16. It transferred to 16th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) on 9 May 16; to 36 HAG on 5 Jul 16; to 70 HAG on 8 Jan 17; to 6 HAG on 15 Apr 17; to 64th HAG on 14 May 17; and to 89 HAG on 6 Oct 17. On 20 Oct 17 it transferred to 79th HAG and remained with it until the end of the war."

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick

I think you misunderstood me a little.

I know what HAGs the 14th were in and when, but I don't know what action the HAGs were involved in during 1916 &17.

I can't seem to find any war diaries for the 14th, so I hoped some kind soul out there might have the HAGs diaries which would save me lots of searching.

Gary

Hi Gary

Hope Im helping here & not adding more confusion ...

Other than a few skirmishes on Column, nothing really happened at the Suez in 1916 other than Romani. Most action was to the West trying to stamp the Senussi out. Theres not that much written on Romani about from what Ive seen, other than a few bits according to what research individuals have done & put on their pages ...

After the few mini-battles to clear the Turkish outposts late 16 / early 17, the 3 Gaza's (& a few related skirmishes between the battles) account for the bulk of the actions during 1917, so likewise to the above ...

Why Im saying this, is that if no one comes up with the goods on forum, maybe a good old fashioned google will turn some personal pages up mate?

:blink: