Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any ideas ?

Conor Dodd

Conor,

By pure coincidence I saw my first one of these ( the second image ) on an online auction site just yesterday! It is described as a World war One Casualty scroll. The one for sale has a reserve of £15 and the name of Pte. John Hayes Canadian Infantry Battalion at the bottom.

Roger.

Roger

Hope it was a genuine one and not a dodgy replica that you can run off from the SDGW CD. The difference wil be that on the replica the name, etc appears typed rather than script.

Conor

I looked up Wick on SDGW :-

102635 Acting 2nd Cpl William Wick

Died of wounds 20/11/17

Born: Banham Norfolk

Enlisted: London

Resided: Wheatley Hill, Co Durham

John

B)

John,

Just been back to have look. The name is in script so it would appear to be the genuine article.

Roger

Looks okay to me, as well, Conor; the first one is an 'Honour Card' which were much more common than people believe during the war... they were given out when an act of gallantry could not or did not result in the award of an official medal or mention. Ones to men who were casualties are much rarer.

Which unit was this man with? One of my great uncles died with 156 Field Coy RE (16th Irish Div) at Bullecourt on this day, during a diversionary attack for Cambrai.

:D Thanks for all the replies pals. Paul, he was with the 174th Tunnelling Coy. when he died was your great uncle Irish I may be able to get something on him.

Conor