Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Best Ace.

Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson

Hullo.

Capt Owen Baldwin : I cannot find out much about him.Is this the correct spelling.It seems he is buried a short distance from where i live.

The speed at which he scored his kills was he the most prolific ace during the short time he flew ?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Roland.

What was his ratio?

I have to mention McCudden. Between the autumn/winter months of August 1917 and February 1918 he flew with 56 Sqn and shot down 52 aircraft. Of his Flight, I forget the numbers, but he was responsible for something like 90% of the victories during this period.

I have more accurate dates and numbers at home - but over a sustained period, his record was exceptional, more so when these were autumn/winter months.

I may have been a tad hasty with my title of The Best Ace !

Between 7th April - 27th Sept he had 16 victories with 4 on 15th Sept. 3 in the morning in a 15 min. period and for good measure 1 in the evening .

I know very little about the war in the air but am interested to find out more about the life of Capt. Baldwin.

Roland.

One of the aces who scored at a very fast pace was the Canadian William Claxton of 41 Squadron. Between 27 May and 13 August,1918 he scored 37 victories (2 balloons, 18 and 2 shared destroyed,15 out of control); won a DSO, two DFC's, and an MID; and celebrated his 19th birthday! A very busy two and a half months!