Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salford Pals 7/9/1918

christopher

Was wondering if someone out there has got a copy of the Salford Pals book (long out of print) published by pen & sword, if so please could you tell me what the 16th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers (Salford Pals) were doing on and around 7/9/1918 ? I am interseted in finding out what happened to a Pte. M. Booth of the 16th Bn who died of wounds on that date.

I think there was perhaps an attack made on the 23/8/1918 as there are a number of casualties for this date.

Incidently i have the other Pals books in this series if anyone wants me to look up any information for them. Its just the Salford one which i am missing.

Thankyou

chris

Chris

I have a copy of the book you refer to. They fought a major action on the the 10th of August which cost 3 officers and 34 men killed and 6 officers and 192 men wounded with 6 men missing.

On the 23rd of August they were holding a line to the

"east of Framerville in front of Herleville. In this area and north to the banks of the Somme the 32nd Division and the 1st Australian Division succeeded in pushing forward to capture Herleville, Chuignolles and Chuignes villages. Whilst this action cost the 16th Lancashire Fusiliers few casulaties, two days later the still inexperienced men were subjected to a devastatingly heavy mustard gas shelling, which left 15 officers and 429 men as casualties to it's effects.

During the course of August 1918 the 16th Lancashire Fusiliers, in so far as they had existed four weeks earlier, had been destroyed by the severity of the actions they were engaged in. However, futher drafts continued to be incorporated into the units."

He wasn't an "original" Salford Pal looking at his serial number although there are a number of Booths on the roll that went overseas.

My guess is that he was a victim of the gas attack but having looked at the entries for SDGW there were not an inordinate number of men who died of wounds in the immediate aftermath of the 23rd of August attack, indicating that most men recovered from it's effects

If you want any further info just let me know

Hambo

Chris

I see he's buried at Rouen - which will mean he was at stationery hospital when he died. As such, it's impossible to really have a stab at when he might have been injured. Could have been there a couple of days. Could have been a couple of months.

I presume he will be the M Booth commemorated on the Denton war memorial

John

Wow - what an amazing response - never expected so much information.

Thankyou John and Hambo.

I have recently come across details on a family research site of someone whose family may have known Mark Booth! As the posting was put on the web way back in 2001 i think its a bit of a long shot but i am hoping that i here back from them.

I will let you know if i do.

Once again thankyou - the knowledge on this site always amazes me.

chris