Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was an F.W.D.?

munce

I don't think this is right, but in North America FWD means "Front Wheel Drive," as in an automobile, as opposed to the older rear wheel drive means of propulsion.

Peter (now back from vacation) B)

Munce,

a quick glance at Michael Young's 'ASC 1902-1918' suggests that it was the name of a motor lorry manufacturer [like ERF ( a break away from Foden) or if you like, BMW in cars]

Young's book has references to FWD on pages 63, 85, 113 & 123, but alas no picture

Page 63 lists FWD amongst the makes of motor lorries to be fixed at the ASC's No.3 Repair shop in St.Omer

On page 85 he states that early in 1915 for RGA Siege Batteries "FWD tractors replaced horses for the 6" howitzers"

On p.113 he mentions one in a quote from a letter from a Sgt Clark in a Siege Battery near Passchendale in Oct 1917

On p.123 he states 'Each battery with 6" howitzers had one FWD and one lorry for every two guns"

Hope this helps, but what you really need is for some RGA enthusiast to come-up with a picture

Michael D.R.

It might be Four Wheel Drive, or would this be chronologically too early? ;)

Hope this helps

John

The vehicle manufacturers Crossley did not start building their version of the FWD until after WW1. In their case FWD stood for Four Wheel Drive and the acronym FWD related to the vehicle built to meet Government specification and hence officially referred to as a FWD.

Details inc. pic at

http://www.crossley-motors.org.uk/military.html

Presumably other manufacturers produced earlier versions.

Dear All,

I could well be wrong, however I must say that I am not fully convinced by the 4 x 4 theory

Michael Young refers to "FWD" in two separate lists of the names of the manufacturers of lorries used in France

But unfortunately nowhere does he spell out what FWD stands for

Also, I would have thought that if he was in fact referring to an important technological innovation such as four-wheel-drive, then surely he would have gone into a little more detail on the subject (as he does with caterpillars for example)

Regards

Michael D.R.

Munce

Whatever the initials may have been used for more recently the FWD of the First World War was a four wheel drive truck made by the FWD company - Four Wheel Drive. They were an American Company but the British Army purchased the vehicles mostly as GS trucks but some were also adapted as mobile balloon winches.

The IWM has a an FWD 3ton GS truck on display in the Land Warfare Hall at Duxford in Cambridgeshire. IWM Photographic Archive includes photos Q 833 FWD towing 6" howitzer, Mametz 7/1916. Q7294 FWD lorries in convoy, Ecoust-St Mien 10/1918, Q7943 FWD balloon winch at Choques 7/1918.

Mike.