Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12TH Battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

Bob Coulson

Yes please, I have a Holmfirth man killed in action with the 12th Battalion on Sunday 26 May 1918, any information on what was happening that day would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony,

Not much help I'm afraid, on May 5th the battalion was broken up into Battalion Training Staff and at 5-00pm 350 other ranks entrained at Watten for Base Depot at Calais.

Your man must have been assigned to another unit by the looks of it, unfortunately no details are given as to where they were distributed.

Bob.

Tony,

Have just checked Green Howards in the Great War and it looks possible that your man was posted to the 4th battalion after the 12th.

May 26th battalion "virtually ceased to exist" after a "wholly unexpected German attack" on the Chemin des Dames with the battalion holding the line around Craonelle and La Hutte.

Many killed but 23 officers and 566 other ranks all "missing"

As I say not certain but it's a possibility as 12th battalion men were transferred to 4th.

Bob.

Tony,

Had a look at the register for St Patricks and assume you are looking into Sgt J W Atkinson.

Checked my paper copy of Soldiers Died for the Yorkshires and Sgt Atkinson is listed under 2nd battalion, this would tie in with his burial place as 2nd Yorkshires were in the line close to Hulluch and the Quarries on May 26th 1918.

Hope this of some help.

Bob.

That is the man, and it helps a lot to know the right battalion. At least now I will be looking in the right place.

Thank you.

Tony.

• 1 month later...

Bob

My man is

Duke James Wardle, Private, 22681, Yorkshire Regiment, 12th Battalion Green Howards, Teesside Pioneers

The only other information that I have is that he was discharged, wounded, 25/1/1918

Which actions/events could have led to his wounding?

Many thanks from a newbie

As would be expected "other ranks" are rarely mentioned by name in the war diary.

During December and January the battalion were engaged in road repairs in the area of St Leger and Mory with only a few references to men being slightly wounded.

My best guess for your man would be that he was wounded during the fighting at Bourlon Wood during the last days of Novemebr 1917 when the 12th battalion had over 40 other ranks killed/wounded/missing.

Not much I'm afraid but hopefully of some use to you.

Bob.

Thanks for this, Bob.

Bourlon Wood seems to be a good bet, although I'm unsure as to which unit he was in at this time, as his medal card shows both Yorkshire and East Yorkshire regiments.

Does the order on the card reflect the actual order of service?

Thanks again