Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Required Please

Guest lee72

post-8258-1128510811.jpg

I've recently obtained my great grandads medal index card. His name was Azariah Gething, though he spelled it several different ways.

This is the information I have obtained off his card

S Staffs Pte 9313

Lab Corps Pte 395483

Hamps R 08810

Date of Entry 28/11/14 France

I was wondering if anyone might be able to shine any light on his career in the Army and which battles he might of seen.

Thanks

Lee

Check out 'Grandads War' on the Long, Long trail website for how to trace a relatives war. This is the best starting point. Also a visit to the regt museum and the PRO would be in order.

Have fun!

Likely to be 1st or 2nd Battalion, probably South Staffs, but a possibility even of Hampshire Regiment.

Both of the Staffordshire regiments were abroad by then, so likley a replacement draft.

Labour Corps was not created until 1-1-1917.

Steve.

Likely to be 1st or 2nd Battalion, probably South Staffs, but a possibility even of Hampshire Regiment.

Both of the Staffordshire regiments were abroad by then, so likley a replacement draft.

Labour Corps was not created until 1-1-1917.

Steve.

I've checked out the war diaries of the 1st and 2nd South Staffs.

The 1st had a draft of 2 NCOs and 17 men on 27th Nov., none around that time for the 2nd Batt'n.

Sod's law, my copy of the Hampshire's unit history is out on loan.

Roy

Lee,

What else can you tell us about your GGF?

Roy

Lee,

What else can you tell us about your GGF?

Roy

The only other info i have concerning him is this

He was born 2 Sept 1877 in Wednesfield, Wolverhampton. He was a coal miner prior to war, he did survive the war. My dad told me many years ago that he was a boxing champion in the South Staffs.

On his birth certificate his name is spelt Hazariah but on his medal card its Azariah, and he often spelt his suname Gethin, Gething or even Gethen.

Thanks for taking an interest. any info would be fantastic.

Lee

Lee,

Sometimes boxing matches are mentioned in war diaries, I have a look when I get time, he may get a mention by name.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
Lee,

Sometimes boxing matches are mentioned in war diaries, I have a look when I get time, he may get a mention by name.

Roy

Lee,

I've just got through the 1st South Staffs diary but no mention of your man. Here's to better luck with the 2nd Batt'n.

Roy